+ Reply to Thread

Default Project Timing: Siding, Windows, Gutters, Extension

Greetings,

I purchased a 100 year old Four Square in March. The interior was redone in 2005. The exterior will need a redo in the next couple years. To date, we've tuckpointed the exterior, cleaned the existing gutters, built a new front porch and porch ceiling.

The house needs new windows that preserve the historic look but provide energy efficiency. The doors are also on my list as none are square and most of them aren't in the style of the home. The current siding is hideous vinyl siding over original (we think) lapboard. We can see some dry rot of existing soffits and fascia. We would like to replace it all. The gutters need replaced as they're old too but due to some architectural details they should be replaced when the new siding goes up. Finally we want to build and extension for a second bath and a family room with fireplace.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might plan the order of these projects? It seems I should do all at once but given that I haven't hit the lottery, I'm limited in the number of projects to do per year. If I did windows/doors one year would that impact the siding folks?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Project Timing: Siding, Windows, Gutters, Extension

The additions first. Keep in mind that while you're in the process, the house doesn't have complete protection from the weather.
    Windows and doors next, followed by the siding. Gutters last.

Yes, it would be better to do them all together, because they are all exterior projects. Why won't you secure the funds first and then do them all at once as 1-2-3-4?

It's going to take at least two to three years before I'll have enough savings to cover the cost of a consolidated project. I was hoping for piecemeal.

Oh the eye sore!

Windows and siding are ideally done at the same time because it makes the proper flashing and trimming of the windows much easier.

If it does not look completely bad, you might want to leave the elevation affected by the new addition untouched. If the old siding were painted to match the new siding, it probably would not be too bad in appearance for a couple years.

You state the interior was recently done. Did they insulate the walls at that time? If not, the insulation can relatively easily be upgraded from the outside without touching the interior walls. You can have insulation blown in from the outside through a series of holes drilled in the sheathing. Also, a complete house wrap will tighten up air infiltration. Most older homes lose more heat through air infiltration than through lack of insulation. It is also possible to build out the walls with solid foam insulation, but this is much more involved and not cheap. It is easy for me to spend your money!

IF the windows are of descent quality (most 100 year old windows are) then you might consider saving a LOT of money and installing good quality storm windows instead. Some studies show the payback period form actual energy savings is longer than the life of the windows. 100 year old windows are made to be rebuilt and can last another hundred years. Most studies show that vinyl replacements are typically replaced again within 20-30 years.... and it will take 30-150 years to recover the energy savings.

We replaced windows on a 1968 home and the savings were minimal. Maybe $20/month for a $5000 project.

Keep in mind that after all of these upgrades, your heating and cooling will be oversized, which can make it much less efficient.

Just something to think about.

On my home, I have a LOT of windows. IT would cost about $25k to replace them. Even if I cut my energy bills in half (not going to happen) it would still be a 20+ year payback.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

if you are planning an addition do the addition first the contractor will have to tear off siding on the walls where it ties into along with cutting into the roofline if its more than one story. if they do cut into the roofline it will affect the fascia and soffit so there is no point replacing something that will only be destroyed in a short time.

as mentioned by others, if you are going to reside and install new windows its best to completely strip the old off the wall then set the new windows. from there they can be properly sealed and flashed from there the new siding can go on. by doing everything at once you will save time and money. also by having one crew do everything the details on the siding and window trim will match all the way around. go to the bank and get proper financing and have the project overwith.. dragging it out can and will bring problems
    fire up the saw and make some dust

What jkirk is saying: if you don't want to wait until you have all the funds necessary to do it all at once and NOW, get an equity line at your local unfriendly bank...
    Don't do piece by piece on exterior projects.

precisely, i have done countless houses with what your looking at getting done.. trying to do it a little at a time just isnt worth it if your hiring someone. the guys doing it will get sick of your house really fast having to come and go all the time.. they wanna go in bang it off and move to the next one
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks everyone for your very thoughtful replies. One big project it is!

Good point on the insulation. I doubt they added any when the interior was redone in 2005. Also excellent point on the windows. Lots of good stuff.

@ForSquare, we're in the same boat! I am renovating a 1940's detached 2 car garage into an office / workshop and lounge space, and I haven't hit the lottery either. I'm cramming in as much exterior work while I can before the rain starts here in Northern California. It's a labor of love and around the clock work but really appreciate all of your tips. We've did @dj1 suggested and went for it - putting all of our money into the project right now. We're about a month away from completion and it's well worth it. The windows and siding were great to do at the same time - decisions on molding and fitting them just right made a huge difference. I could not imagine doing it piece by piece - as you said, "what an eye sore". Best of luck!