+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Circuit come back to life?

I flipped the breaker on the circuit and cracked open one of the outlets (the closest to the panel), and sure enough - I've got the back stab receptacles. I'm all set to fix the problem by attaching the wires to the screws, except I'm a little caught off guard by the fact that there are 3 pairs of wires when I was expecting 2. I'm guessing they split off the circuit here - one set to an adjacent outlet outside, and the other continuing to the remaining 2 outlets on the circuit. How should I connect these? Photo attached.

Last edited by thunv; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by thunv View Post
    I flipped the breaker on the circuit and cracked open one of the outlets (the closest to the panel), and sure enough - I've got the back stab receptacles. I'm all set to fix the problem by attaching the wires to the screws, except I'm a little caught off guard by the fact that there are 3 pairs of wires when I was expecting 2. I'm guessing they split off the circuit here - one set to an adjacent outlet outside, and the other continuing to the remaining 2 outlets on the circuit. How should I connect these? Photo attached.

I suspect you're correct in that one pair of conductors ( black & white ) are for the supply feed and the remaining two are for the other receptacles.

However, there are six conductors ( which look to be #14 gauge wire ) along with the receptacle , which would require the box size of 3 x 2 x 2-1/2 ( H x W x D ) for safety and to code.

In order to provide any appropriate way to correct this --- please confirm the size of box that's currently in place. If the box is not 2-1/2 then there will be a need to correct this --- which means some cutting out drywall.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I suspect you're correct in that one pair of conductors ( black & white ) are for the supply feed and the remaining two are for the other receptacles.

However, there are six conductors ( which look to be #14 gauge wire ) along with the receptacle , which would require the box size of 3 x 2 x 2-1/2 ( H x W x D ) for safety and to code.

In order to provide any appropriate way to correct this --- please confirm the size of box that's currently in place. If the box is not 2-1/2 then there will be a need to correct this --- which means some cutting out drywall.
    Yes, the box is 2 x 3 x 2-1/2.

Yes, the box is 2 x 3 x 2-1/2.
    That's a good thing.

There's a couple of simple ways to get rid of the back stab connections.

1) This is the method I would personally use. --- find which pair is the supply feed and attach directly to the screw terminals ( bottom or top ).

Using pig tails ( black and white ) attached one end to the other screw terminals the other end twist together with the remaining downstream feeders and secure them with an appropriate size wire nut --- one that is rated for 3 - #14 wire.

2) Use pigtails and twist all four conductors and secure with an appropriate sized wire nut --- one that is rated for 4-#14 wire.

The other end of the pig tails weill be connected to the screw terminals on the receptacle.
    - Rush

I've reconnected all the wires from the back stabs to the screws in all 4 outlets. Until I can make it to the hardware store to get the additional wire for the pigtail, I just left the extra branch that splits off the pictured outlet out of the circuit. After fixing the back stabs in each receptacle I flipped the breaker and tried the outlets to see if that receptacle was the one with the issue. After each try, still no power in the circuits.

I know there's juice in the circuit, because my circuit board has the labels for two circuits switched and I got zapped before I figured out which breaker was the right one. Could the problem be with one of the receptacles?

I think you found your problem, and it's what I suspected all along: possible faulty receptacle. Replace it and see if it works now. Use a better quality unit than the standard one, to handle the additional wires.

I've reconnected all the wires from the back stabs to the screws in all 4 outlets. Until I can make it to the hardware store to get the additional wire for the pigtail, I just left the extra branch that splits off the pictured outlet out of the circuit. After fixing the back stabs in each receptacle I flipped the breaker and tried the outlets to see if that receptacle was the one with the issue. After each try, still no power in the circuits.

I know there's juice in the circuit, because my circuit board has the labels for two circuits switched and I got zapped before I figured out which breaker was the right one. Could the problem be with one of the receptacles?
    Is the pictured receptacle at the beginning of the circuit ?

Are you sure those wires you left disconnected are a branch feed and not the supply feed ?
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Is the pictured receptacle at the beginning of the circuit ?

Are you sure those wires you left disconnected are a branch feed and not the supply feed ?
    Yes and yes. At least 99% sure, anyways.

Well , in theory ---------- a 14/2 cable originates at the breaker panel --- black connected to a breaker ---- white connected to the neutral buss --- this cable runs to the first receptacle ( supply feed ) ---- providing there are no other junctions along the way.

If there is no supply current to this first receptacle then none of the other receptacles fed from there will have current.
    The first step ---- The connections at the breaker ( black ) and the white ( neutral buss ) need to be checked if they are snugged properly.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-19-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    - Rush