+ Reply to Thread

Default Source of Sewer Gas Solved?

I've posted a couple of different times about sewer gas in the house, and have gotten some great advice from many of you. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions solved my problem. I did, however, just discover that there is a 90 on the basement bathtub drain. No p trap. Problem solved?

I know, put a p trap on there and see if it solves the problem, right? Unfortunately, that means tearing out the whole bathroom so I can wreck out the concrete and make the "hole" deep enough to accommodate a p trap. There definitely isn't room for one as it is now. I think this may be where they went wrong in installing this bathroom; not digging deep enough to allow for a trap, using a 90 instead of doing it right.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!

Default Re: Source of Sewer Gas Solved?

I haven't seen your previous postings, so I don't know what folks suggested. But since you say that nothing worked, maybe this one will work.

Question is, do you want to go through all that needed to be done, for something you're not 100% sure?

Look at it this way: a surgeon has to cut through a lot to get where he can do what he needs to be doing. And without guaranteed success.

I did not see your previous post either but before you tear into everything try temporarily plugging up the shower drain. Use a rag to stuff into the drain so it fits tightly and that will stop any sewer gases from coming up. If this indeed the source of your problem the smell should be gone. Now you will know that this is the problem area and you can take the appropriate measures to fix the situation. Good luck with your project.

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys!!

If your going to test your theory as suggested and stuff the drain with a rag. You also have to remove the cover plate for the overflow and plug that also.

John

You could just close the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by gbecki49 View Post
    I've posted a couple of different times about sewer gas in the house, and have gotten some great advice from many of you. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions solved my problem. I did, however, just discover that there is a 90 on the basement bathtub drain. No p trap. Problem solved?

I know, put a p trap on there and see if it solves the problem, right? Unfortunately, that means tearing out the whole bathroom so I can wreck out the concrete and make the "hole" deep enough to accommodate a p trap. There definitely isn't room for one as it is now. I think this may be where they went wrong in installing this bathroom; not digging deep enough to allow for a trap, using a 90 instead of doing it right.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!
    Yes , not having a P-trap will cause sewer gas to migrate up --- that's the purpose of the water seal in a P-trap to prevent the sewer gas leakage.

Ditto johnh2o if you are going to test.

Other than that -- is there access to the front of the tub from an interior wall ?
    If so then you can cut out the wall to access busting out the concrete to make corrections the drain that way.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for all the replies. I never have had this smell in the bathroom in question. It is always in the closet behind the bathroom, and migrates up into the house. When the bathroom was finished, the contractor enclosed 1/2 of the stack(on the bathroom side) inside the bathroom wall. The other half of that same stack (the closet side) is in the closet behind the bathroom. I can see that side of it, but not the side that the bathroom ties in to. I'm wondering if the tie in was done incorrectly, or if perhaps the glued joint didn't hold. Nothing in the way of a sewer gas smell coming from the tub/shower drain or the sink in that bathroom. The mystery continues, and when we're finished with the upstairs bath remodel (which, after seeing the plumbing in there gives me cause to be alarmed about the downstairs plumbing), the plan is to wreck out the downstairs bath and see what's what. Since I am only an amateur plumber, my intention is to have a trusted licensed plumber we know come in and assess what's down there. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. I'd be lost without this board sometimes!!