+ Reply to Thread

Default New Appliances for Kitchen Remodel

We just got into a new investment property and are looking to remodel the kitchen and purchase either Electrolux or Thermador appliances.

Does anyone have any experience with a good appliance dealer? I notice that free shipping is pretty standard so I'm hoping for a better deal than I can get locally.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and provide an update. The remodel went well and
    we were able to sell the property after having it on the market for a few months. We ended up going with a local company for the appliances and were able to land a few showroom models.

We are working on another property as we speak so I'm sure I'll have questions soon!
    Last edited by RealEstateNoob; 10-30-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Update

Default Re: New Appliances for Kitchen Remodel

Is this going to be your first rental?
    Where is it located?
    What is you budget?

It's actually an investment property and yes this is the first one for me. The house is in Plano, TX and we are hoping to keep the remodel, including new appliances within the $15,000 - $20,000 Range.

You say it's an investment property, but is it going to be a "second home" for you? is it going to be rented out (income property)?

There is a difference. For a rental property, don't get top of the line appliances. You'll be throwing your money. The two brands you mentioned are not good for rentals. But they will be nice in a "second home".

As far as appliance sources, shop around, on line or at local stores and clearance outlets. Check Lowe's: they sell appliances with minor dents (some that you can't even see) for a lot less. Check local ads. You can even bargain with local stores by showing them the same items for less in on line ads and get free shipping and connections from them.

If you can, stay away from stainless steel finish appliances. They are trendy and marked up very high. Same exact appliance in white can be 30% less.

good luck.

Thanks a bunch for the tips!

We're hoping to remodel and sell but since renting is always a possibility in this market I'll keep what you said about the brands in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RealEstateNoob View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the tips!

We're hoping to remodel and sell but since renting is always a possibility in this market I'll keep what you said about the brands in mind.
    I don't think you can possibly keep a remodel under $15-$20k if you buy a whole kitchen's worth of new Thermador or Electrolux appliances. Do the math, I mean, you need a fridge, range (or cooktop plus wall oven), vent hood, microwave and dishwasher minimum. If you're targeting a market that wants higher-end appliances, they may also expect a wine fridge and they may want the main fridge to be counter-depth. Even without those add-ons, with either of those brands you're approaching $10k just on the appliances, and that's if you don't get fancy versions of the appliances (you could easily spend $3500 on an E-lux fridge if you went with their top of the line ones).

So unless by "remodel" you mean "leave the existing cabinets where they are but maybe paint them, change the counter for the cheapest granite I can find, and repaint the room," you're not going to be able to stay under $15k.

I will make my advice short as I don't have much time now but I hope you will take the advice of someone who has been a landlord for twenty years now and rents a house he lives next door to. First off if you are renting think beyond the nice kitchen don't hire a real estate agent to take care of your property, instead get a lawyer and have him draft up the best lease you could ever get. Real estate agents as good as many of them are just don't have the time or resources to check on every property they manage.
    That being said on to the main topic of discussion. For cabinets if you want to rent don't buy high end as they are just going to get messed up anyway. As for appliances why buy new you can get some great used appliances at used appliance stores or some charities and save yourself some money. Only thing I wouldn't skimp on would be a dishwasher buy that new and something that has been around for a while like GE or Whirlpool they are much easier to find parts for and your tenants or new owners will like you for thinking about them. Good luck to you!