Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
Guys, I read posts as a learning tool, but I just don't understand what's going on here . . .

He puts into a new “service entry” which I assume is a new panel. I don’t understand why, even with a solar system, because I assume the supply service is still the same (my former utility required I pay for trenching if I wanted 200a instead of 100a) and he didn’t pull any more circuits, so I’m scratching my head why a new panel was needed. I once replaced circuit breakers but not the panel.
here is a quote from the solar engineer about the reasons, can't say I understand it, being a non electrician...

We need Mr. *** to upgrade his SES for the size of service he is getting. The 150 A service isn’t large enough for the backfeed we need for the size of inverter we are using. If he wants something to reference this, have him refer to NEC 690.64(B)(2). The City of Phoenix also requires our PV breaker to be on the opposite end of the bus from the other main breakers. Since his service has multiple mains, they may have a problem with that as well since the distance from the main and our PV breaker isn’t as far apart.

Now, if the old breakers were swapped one-for-one, then the 50a circuit should have (load capacity fixed by the existing wire gauge) received the same rated breaker. If the breaker keeps tripping, shouldn’t he try replacing the breaker before considering the oven as the culprit, which at 10-years is mature but not old, to rule out the cheaper fix before the expensive fix?

So, whatever service he had, whether 208v or 240v, it should have remained the same; you just don’t mess with pulling a new configuration without telling the owner and checking that the appliances (load) can handle the voltage change.

As I read this, I just don’t get what’s going on . . .
I agree, I just don't know what's going on either. That's why I agree, to be safe, at this point to hire a real electrician to go over the system

I am intrigued by the solar setup . . . I only know of one person with a solar setup (in Silicon Valley) and he said when his solar system is producing more power than he needs, his electric meter spins backwards because he is actually selling power to Pacific G&E, although electrically, I don’t understand if this is possible (back flow). Well, he says he gets a credit in the summer months and breaks even in the winter.
Phoenix is more ideal for a solar array. the meter does indeed spin backwards, as my excess energy goes into the array, banked in their recordings to be used at night, and the excess of which is to be paid out at the end of the year. I plan now to get an all electric car, as my array is somewhat more then my house needs, so I can use it to charge the car