+ Reply to Thread

Default Attic fan motor replacement

Hi everyone, this spring, I did a favor for a family member and a friend by replacing their motors in their roof mounted attic fans. They had both stopped operating. I bought the motor replacement at one of the "box" stores. They are a 1/7hp motor. To try to make a long story short, one worked fine all summer as it was supposed being thermostatically controlled. The other stopped working in about a week or two. The original motor in this second application wasn't an original and I'm not sure what the HP would be. It has a small housing and blade though. My question is: should I assume that this motor was bad and simply just replace it with another of the same? I bypassed the thermostat and the motor didn't run. Should I maybe try another with a different HP? I'm going to troubleshoot starting with the power source, thermostat on down to the motor. I'm thinking about replacing everything (thermostat, motor, blade) with a unit that will fit into the housing. This way I'll know that everything should be properly matched and working properly. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Attic fan motor replacement

Replace the whole thing. That's what I'd do.

Default Re: Attic fan motor replacement

ditto dj, it's too easy to mismatch the parts.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com