+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: upstairs sinks both clogged

Yes, the trap was removed and the cable tried in an empty drain - this technique is used only when other methods fail...

I don't believe in the use of any drain cleaners or acids other than bacterial enzymes used as a drain maintenance - simply a waste of $ and rarely work on their own.

Hair is one of the most indestructible things on Planet Earth and physically removing hair is the best option, by far. There is not a drain cleaner available at retail that will touch human hair...

Acids should be used only when mortar, sand, drywall compound, etc. is known to be the cause of the stoppage...

I hope this helps...

Friendly Home Services Baton Rouge...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyHomeServices View Post
    Yes, the trap was removed and the cable tried in an empty drain - this technique is used only when other methods fail...

I don't believe in the use of any drain cleaners or acids other than bacterial enzymes used as a drain maintenance - simply a waste of $ and rarely work on their own.

Hair is one of the most indestructible things on Planet Earth and physically removing hair is the best option, by far. There is not a drain cleaner available at retail that will touch human hair...

Acids should be used only when mortar, sand, drywall compound, etc. is known to be the cause of the stoppage...

I hope this helps...

I've used drain cleaner on hair clogs and it works. A little plunging may be required. I've gotten lazy in my old age and go for the easiest solution usually.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyHomeServices View Post
    Photos of the last time I used this technique are found by searching dinoseer or FriendlyHomeServices on Flicker dot com - I don't have enough posts yet to allow links...

Yes, ultimately to be to "code", one would ideally cut a Tap Tee to serve as a clean out for future stoppages. If you have a PVC or ABS Vent Stack, you could just cut the stack above the flood rim and put the pipe back together with a no-hub or fernco coupling.

I am a Master Plumber with nearly 30 years experience - I have used this technique many, many times on fixtures plumbed with a cross or in the case of the Drain in my above referenced pictures, my cable kept going up the Vent Stack due to the stoppage being right below where the Lavatory Drain Arm entered a Tap Tee on the Vent Stack.

I also use a high quality American Made 1/4" solidcore cable on my Rigid Drain Machine. I can unstop anything up to a Main Sewer Line...

I hope this helps...

You use a 1/4" cable on main lines? This is getting worse by the minute. I don't care what type cable it is it will turn on it's self, especially in a main line. As far as cutting a hole in the wall above the flood rim of the fixture to snake the line. Wouldn't it make more sense to open the wall in the cabinet and install a clean out below the waste arms. Who would want a clean out sticking out of the wall above the sinks.

John

P.S. Not that it matters but I have been a master plumber for over 50 years.