+ Reply to Thread

Default visable screws on stair treads

Just removed the runner from the stair case in our 1920's home.
    Hoping to refinish the stairs along with the floors. We found 2 screws in the center of each step, probably to stop squeaking.
    How do we cover the screws or remove & fill the holes so we can refinish & leave the stairs uncovered?

Default Re: visable screws on stair treads

if the stair treads are screwed down they should be countersunk and counterbored, then the remaining portion of the hole filled with a wood plug that matches the wood in the tread.

i wood back out the screws then counterbore them, install new screws then plug
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You could countersink the screws and fill the holes with face-grain wood plugs cut from matching wood. You may as well, since the screw holes aren't going away.
    Repairs can be effected from beneath, but gaining access is usually very painful.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

fill the holes with wood plugs is a great suggestion

If the screws are uniformly placed on each step, maybe you could replace them with decorative screws and it could be a "feature" instead of a "bug."
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.