+ Reply to Thread

Default Filling cracks in wavy glass instead of replacing?

We have large panes of old, wavy glass in our house, some of which have small cracks (1") near the frame. I hate to replace the whole pane; it is expensive and I would hate to give up the wavy glass. I wondered if you can fill the crack similar to an auto-glass repair. After looking around, I don't see anyone offering that as an option. Can anyone help me find out how to save my panes?

Default Re: Filling cracks in wavy glass instead of replacing?

The glass is broken so what do you have to lose. Try the auto glass repair kit.
    Here's on at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Windsheild-Pro.../dp/B0015D46CE

And most auto parts stores carry them.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The difference between auto glass and a window pane is that auto glass is laminated. A crack in one side of the lamination isn't going to affect the integrity of the whole, whereas a crack in a window pane will continue to crack, if not shatter when you attempt to clean out the crack and fill it with resin.

Since you don't have too much to lose you can try the window repair kit. If you have to replace it, you can get reproduction wavy glass.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

After trying this auto glass fill in material, please report back. We all want to know if it works for small cracks.

BTW, how thick is your glass? 1 strength, 2 strength or 3 strength?

Hi,
    I glued a broken pane of etched stained glass back together with epoxy, left a good uniform bead of it on the glass to aid in holding it together, and colored the cement with a red sharpie to get rid of the clear seam line (it was red flashed glass) and it has done okay for 3 years. On clear glass the epoxy is going to yellow noticeably. A thick superglue could also work, may not yellow as badly.
    It used to be commonplace (about 300 years ago) to repair broken panes with lead came, as in leaded glass. Many Victorian windows (the crazy-quilt style) emulate this and take it to an extreme.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Hi everyone - so I got the windshield repait kit at Home Depot. They have two versions, but both say they repair "bullseyes, star damage, and chips." The instructions explain how to repair a chip, (you use a syringe to pump repair compound into the chip). I don't see how to get it in to the three small (1" long) cracks along the bottom of my window pane. I think it would just be applying it to the surface and that won't improve the integrity or looks. Any other ideas? Thanks!