+ Reply to Thread

Question Cracking Exterior Grout *between bricks)

We live in a 50+ yr old brick home. And the grout is cracking and separating from the brick. How do we go about doing the repairs?

Default Re: Cracking Exterior Grout *between bricks)

The stuff between the bricks is called mortar. Are the cracks general or seem to follow a straight line? Cracking mortar is usually a sign of foundation issues.

Where is your house located? Are foundation repairs common?

The process you're referring to is called "repointing" and there's actually a pretty good article by Danny Palousek on the ThisOldHouse site. (Sorry I can't link to it because I don't have link privileges on this forum yet!) You can Google: "Danny Palousek repointing" and it'll show up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the reference to article. I saw a segment on TV not too long ago, in regards to putting clear caulk in the cracks.

Houston Remodeler--I did check w/a structural engineer, and not a foundation problem. We had double pane windows installed a couple of years ago, and I noticed that this problem was occurring. So central TX has an extreme drought happening this summer. And the bricks are not cracking, which would also indicate a foundation issue.