+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage insulation

I'm wondering if insulating the attic over my garage would help keep the rest of the house cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Default Re: Garage insulation

The separation wall between the house and garage should already be insulated, so adding insulation to the garage won't help the house, but it will help the garage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We can only assume that the wall between the interior and the garage is correctly insulated, but depending on the age and location of the house, I won't be surprised that there is no insulation at all. I've seen in many times.

I would insulate the garage, including the garage door (sectional?) simply to answer the question "what if...?"

There are two closets next to the garage and I have reason to believe they skipped the insulation there.
    The garage door is insulated and it has been really hot in there this summer.

the wall betwen the house and the garage has to be insulated plus get a vapor barrier, if it wasnt it never would have passed an inspection as the garage is considered "a cold space".. unless it was built before inspections became the norm
    fire up the saw and make some dust

It looks like you will need to insulate 3 of the garage walls and the attic. If the 2 sides of the garage are unfinished, consider finishing it. In the attic through extra insulation.

A well insulated house will save you money in the long run.

I think I really learned from this site a lot of important information and hope this site will be more to do better.