+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation marlite in my kitchen?

the hubby and i just bought our very first home. It's a little farm house thats just darling. Theres only one room that drives me nuts & thats the kitchen..I've been told the walls in my kitchen are Marlite? im sure this would be great if i was a really super sloppy cook..I dont know why anyone would put marlite in a kitchen..a bathroom i could see but not the kitchen..Anyhow is it possible to tear off marlite? or is it a better idea just to paint overtop? Would textured wall paper be a good idea and would it even stick?..help!!! I'd really like to start in this room first..I have big beautiful giant white cupboards and the marlite is white with specks of ****..from far off it looks like grease splatters yuck!!!!!!! what products would you recommend i use? thank you so much in advance for your help.
    carolyne

Default Re: marlite in my kitchen?

tried to type that the marlite is white with specs of ****. for some reason **** came up **** when i sent the post
    carolyne

why wont it let me spell the color of the specs on the marlite. G-O-L-D is the color..why does this put stars to replace my word?

G O L D is in the word censor filter because it we were being heavily spammed and that was one of the keywords of the spam. There are several common words that contain censored root words that will also show asterisks, such as scr aper (sc****r ).

To answer your question, you can paint it, but it's going to look just as bad or worse than it does now. I suspect that what you have isn't actually Marlite, but a vinyl coated Masonite, the difference is that Marlite is very similar to Formica in look and composition, whereas Masonite is a compressed fiberboard material. If you look for scratches or cracks in the surface, you'll probably see that the substrate, the Masonite, has swollen due to coming into contact with moisture.

Regardless of what type of material it is, the best means of dealing with it is to remove it and either repair and paint the drywall or install tile or solid surface such as Corian or stone over it.

Your next question is probably going to be what is holding it in place? That would be construction adhesive. Yes, it's going to damage the wall when you pull off the Marlite, but this can be repaired like new.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We have similar wall material in our kitchen. I thought dry walling over it would be the easiest option and the fiberboard would add a little insulative value. Is that doable?

Quote Originally Posted by Leisa View Post
    We have similar wall material in our kitchen. I thought dry walling over it would be the easiest option and the fiberboard would add a little insulative value. Is that doable?
    If you go over the top of it with drywall, then you'll have to add spacers to all your outlets and switches that are affected in this area. It would be better to remove the Marlite first, repair the wall, then do as you like.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leisa View Post
    You are looking at a negligible insulation value and a lot of work here. I also say, better remove what you have and start anew. BTW, while you have a bare wall, you can re-do your electrical and plumbing.

I just did kitchen walls in stainless steel sheets - the restaurant look - it came out very attractive. And the price? less than new drywall.