+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chimney caulk

Default Chimney caulk

Our Chimney was caulked using regular caulk befor we moved in. The caulk has since cracked leaving the brick morter exposed to elements. I have noticed bubbling and peeling of the interior walls on the chimney side of the house. What can we use to A. take caulk off and B to fill back in to prevent moisture from entering the house?

Default Re: Chimney caulk

it may not entirely be the caulking you could need a new flashing job. you really need a trained eye to look around at it to see any other spots where water is getting in
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I would redesign the flashing, as jkirk suggests, and re-caulk where the chimney meets the side of the house (carefully remove old caulk, clean, apply new dupont masonary caulk). It's almost impossible to pinpoint the source of the leak, therefore a complete job is needed.

Don't fix any water damage until you solve the leak problem.

Is there a saddle behind the saddle......Saddles were pretty common yrs ago....then it seamed like there was a period where mass development subdivision companys stopped installing them....Im sure it was a cost factor thing........

http://www.inspectapedia.com/chimney...ftop_Insp5.htm
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

So what type of professional do I need to inspect, roofer or chimney inspection spe******t? I have no idea what a saddle is either so I dont know if we have one.

you should be looking for a chimney guy, they do the flashing work on the chimney. some roofers are capable of doing it but most just deal in the shingles

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    you should be looking for a chimney guy, they do the flashing work on the chimney. some roofers are capable of doing it but most just deal in the shingles
    JK i cant say Ive seen a chimney guy do flashing in yrs..Maybe on a custom house.......The HVAC/Gutter guys usally did them when I got in the trades...... They seamed the step flashing into the mortor joints then caulked it. Now days the roofers cut the flashing to step down the brick and caulks it.......They dont seam it into the mortor joint...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

interesting gizmo, must be one of those regional things..

our chimney guy does all the flashing at teh chimney itself and cuts it into the mortar joint.. the only flashing our roofer does is step flashing going up side walls

Around here roofers do it, since there are less and less custom chimneys being built, you have a hard time finding old time quality chimney guys.

Builders are putting in other kinds of chimneys.

Some sheet metal guys and even some experienced framers know how to do it correctly too (as there are many skylights being put in).