+ Reply to Thread

Default Granite kitchen countertops

I can't decide whether to have a granite back splash or not installed. If there is a newer preferred way, like tiling down to granite counter and caulking. Or maybe a 3 or 4 inch granite back splash and then tiling wall down to granite back splash. I am having a laminated top replaced with granite. I would be interested in hearing ideas.

Thanks,

Darrell

Default Re: Granite kitchen countertops

If you are tiling the wall I would tile right down to the counter and not have a granite backsplash. That is the look I would prefer. You are correct, you would leave about a 1/8" gap between the tile and counter and caulk that joint with color matched caulk. We recently did this project in our kitchen and went with the tile to the counter, I tried to post a pic, but it timed out trying to load.

If you are not tiling the wall, then the backsplash would be appropriate (again, only my visual preference, yours may of course vary )
    Last edited by bp21901; 03-30-2009 at 09:42 AM.

That's one of the things I don't like about marble & granite counter tops... with corian or laminate the backsplash is made as an integral part of the top with no seam.

I don't mind the look of a backsplash then tile up. The main problem with just tiling straight is if your tile is thick enough to cover any gaps between the wall and the countertop caused by non-squareness of the walls, and trying to make that joint waterproof, most importantly behind the kitchen sink. The less visible caulking the cleaner every thing looks. JMO.

Shaun

Howdy looking at the granite tops in our new home while i type they have 4" granite back splash and would look great with tile above it. The walls are just textured/ painted. The best part is the granite is a speckeled brown so when i spill coffee it blends right in. My wife is so happy instead of the stains on the formica we use to have. One advantage of tile to back splash is the diferent withs a more custom look. But disadvantage is most tile just will look cheap against the granite. I guess that is why so many people are installing glass tiles... Oh yes i wipe up the coffee spills, sure i do ha ha

We just put in granite counter tops. They look great. I discussed the possibility of using the granite as the back splash but since we had 3cm granite the installed advised against is because it would look so thick. We went with sheets of 1x2" tiles with a narrow cigaro band around the 1x2". It looks sharp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of counter 1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	3138  

There is an alternative to granite. We spray over old formica. Our spray looks like Granite but us a fraction of the cost of real stone. www.resurfacespe******t.com

Quote Originally Posted by paretoslaw View Post
    Now there is a true clash of color.
    Possibly the photo doesn't do this justice. But then again the 7% of all men and 2% of all women are color blind. Could be the problem with your interpretation of the photo.