+ Reply to Thread

Default 4 track Storm Windows or double screens advice

We have decided to restore by a contractor a few 2 over 2 old Colonial windows that are over 5' tall. I have read how the top sash when lowered let out the hot air and the bottom sash opened would let in the cool air. They have aluminum storm windows, 3 tracks with one screen. I'm thinking I need 4 tracks with double screens so bugs won't fly in when the top sash is opened. Were these not made in earlier times or am I dreaming?
    We are planning to do one window this year and see how it comes out before we do the rest. Contractor gave us a price for a new Harvey storm window; doesn't come in the trim color we have and we would like to be able to use the existing storm to save money for now and see how it works. We could replace the storms next year.
    Any advice on how to prevent bugs from flying in top sash if we keep the 3 track storm?
    Also, I did not see a post on restoring aluminum storms for drafts...is there such a thing or not worth it?

FYI...current prices for mechanical and historical restoration $800 + and new storm approx. $250-$300 installed

Default Re: 4 track Storm Windows or double screens advice

Looks like nobody else wants to take this one on! Two thoughts here. One is to see if you can get a replacement upper storm sash and screen it. Another would be to make a screened box that would fill the hole from a partially lowered upper storm sash and fit into the equally lowered window sash. Some stick-on foam would fill the gaps and paint or stain to match the interior would make it presentable. Another late-breaking thought is to make a whole-window screen that fits over the outside- you'd have to figure out how to fasten the creature for easy installation and removal -something tells me that a couple screw-eyes and a bungee cord just won't do for your home!