+ Reply to Thread

Default blistering paint

The fiberglass columns on my porch were, I guess, improperly primed at the factory. I painted them and the paint bubbled. I sc****d, sanded and applied Gripper. Figured I would wait before applying paint. They bubbled within a week. Please help.
    Last edited by Lance444; 08-15-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: thought I misspelled a word because of ****

Default Re: blistering paint

If you used Glidden Gripper primer - I think it's not the right primer for fiberglass. Better use a primer like Evercoat G2, available at auto paint outlets. Or you can use Epoxy Primer.

But before you try painting again, you need to clean and wash your columns, using warm mild soap solution or mineral spirit. Then sand, as much as you like it. Prime. Finally use acrylic spray paint.

What color is the paint and what temperatures are you painting? Most paints should not be applied over 90F and that is not the air temperature, but the surface temperature.

Thank you, I will try that come October when it is cool and dry

I would second Houston's advise. The few times I have encounter blistering, heat and dark colors were involved. Also, Gripper,or any other good acrylic primer, should have held to the fiberglas columns.

Have you contacted the manufacturer about this situation?

Aside from ensuring that the surface is thoroughly smooth, clean, finished, and temperature is not too hot, another pointer to avoid paint blisters is to never apply oil-based paint over a latex base. It is possible to use latex paint over oil based primers and paints, but it's better to stick with one type of formula.