+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Copper vs Pex vs Cpvc

Ayn plumber that is any good can and will work with copper. That being said L coopper is the only way to go unless it is under a slab in which case k copper should be used. I have seen multiple jobs where cpvc has fail within a few years, and have seen pex fiitings fail and pex crimp rings fail. 99% of our new work jobs are copper. I tear out plastic and steel almost daily and replace them all with copper. It just makes for a better quality job and can add resale value.

Noticed a water heater leak at daughter's house. 10 years old. Two nice issues to address:
    1. Water heater has been enclosed and I need to do some work to create a doorway to remove water heater. Not a problem.
    2. Plumbing is copper but was installed by an "Italian" (smile) as it looks like a bunch of spaghetti. (no offense to Italian plumbers) Thinking about asking plumber to quote on cost to not only replace water heater - but to pull out all copper and run it in a workmanlike fashion that allows movement without crawling over/under plumbing - and to move heater towards a back wall to allow ease of entry to that area (which also houses the furnace and water conditioner).

Because they are young and money IS STILL and issue, I am considering suggesting PEX since it will be in an area I can get to in future, but the plumber gets to identify all the various pipe that has been added to house before purchase.

Does this project suggest use of PEX over copper?

Thanks, The Squareman18

Quote Originally Posted by Squareman18 View Post
    Noticed a water heater leak at daughter's house. 10 years old. Two nice issues to address:
    1. Water heater has been enclosed and I need to do some work to create a doorway to remove water heater. Not a problem.
    2. Plumbing is copper but was installed by an "Italian" (smile) as it looks like a bunch of spaghetti. (no offense to Italian plumbers) Thinking about asking plumber to quote on cost to not only replace water heater - but to pull out all copper and run it in a workmanlike fashion that allows movement without crawling over/under plumbing - and to move heater towards a back wall to allow ease of entry to that area (which also houses the furnace and water conditioner).

Because they are young and money IS STILL and issue, I am considering suggesting PEX since it will be in an area I can get to in future, but the plumber gets to identify all the various pipe that has been added to house before purchase.

Does this project suggest use of PEX over copper?

Thanks, The Squareman18
    I would re-do it all in copper. It shouldn't be that messy, I don't understand what Italian got to do with it. Simple plumbing is simple plumbing.