+ Reply to Thread

Default sump pump vibration noise

OK everyone I have am having a problem with my sump pump and the vibration noise it makes. Originally it just laid on the basement floor and ran out through the garage door but but I changed it. I used two inch pvc pipe and unions.

First attempt I ran the pipe up and along the floor joists and out the side of the house and found that the pump vibration follows the pvc and makes an unacceptable amount of noise, (it's loud).

Second attempt I figured I'd run the pvc to the basement foundation (cement) wall and along it to the exit point. I thought the wall would help absorb and muffle the the vibration, the noise is even more unacceptable, (it's louder).

I used oversized galvy clips and wrapped the pvc with insulation tape at the clips so the pipe wouldn't come in contact with the joists or foundation with no luck so far. I'm sure someone out there knows the correct or better way to do this than I'm doing it.

Thanks Sten

Default Re: sump pump vibration noise

Try using a fernco coupling. Be sure the pipe ends do not meet inside the coupling. You will find them in the big box stores.

http://www.pascospecialty.com/catalo..._CATALOG_D.pdf

John

I tried one of those rubber couplings with no luck and am thinking that I may need to upgrade my pump. I have a cheap low end and can feel the vibration easily through the PVC, any thought on this are greatly appreciated.

Was it vibrating and making noise in the original position as you described at the beginning?

Or did the vibrations and noises appear once you attached your 2" pipes?

Originally it was ran across the basement floor and out under the Garage door, the past owners used that plastic flexible tubing that comes in 20-25 foot lengths. It could always be heard running but very faint, the PVC pipes that I put in are 1.25. Since putting the 1.25 PVC in it has gotten very loud, to the point waking me in the middle of the night when it comes on.

Sten,
    If it didn't vibrate with the flex drain, and it vibrates and makes noise with pvc, then logically, it's the pvc's fault. Don't you think so?

dj1, I know that the pump is vibrating and I know that the PVC is carrying the vibration to the floor joists. I also know that it didn't do it with the flexible tubing. But logically speaking the noise and vibration have to start someplace and obviously that would be the pump. I know that pvc is used with sump pump drains but don't know what I'm doing wrong, any useful info would be more than appreciated, the wet season will be upon us soon and that thing will keep us up all night as that's how often it runs. I think I'll figure out how to post pics., they say there worth a thousand words, when used legally that is.

Thanks in advance.

OK I see now - there are vibrations with the flex and more with the pvc. Even when pipes are insulated, padded and secured. So:

1. replace the pump?
    2. stop basement leaks?
    3. sell the house?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    OK I see now - there are vibrations with the flex and more with the pvc. Even when pipes are insulated, padded and secured. So:

1. replace the pump?
    2. stop basement leaks?
    3. sell the house?
    Come on dj no reason to get sarcastic the man is just looking for a solution to his problem. I thought that was are purpose here.

John

John,

It was ment to be taken lightly...

I was racking my brains to help Sten, one of the last honest guys around.

It's no fun having a noisy pump rattling you at night...A leaky faucet makes me stay up all night...so imagine what a pump would do.