+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't stop leak at chimney

We are in the process of building a new house, but a leak at the chimney has us at a standstill. About the only time it leaks is during a hard driving rain. The brick is General Shale's Jefferson Wade Tudor and I've been told since it was laid that it is a very porous brick. The chimney has been treated with ChimneySaver and the crown has been coated with their brushable Crown Sealant. The chimney is in the ridge of the roof and is double flashed, could the water be going behind the flashing? I'm at wits end and am about to put a clearcoat waterproofer on it. Anyone have a solid reason why I shouldn't or a product they'd recommend? TIA!!!!!!

Default Re: Can't stop leak at chimney

Yes, the water could be going behind the flashing.

I would re-do the flashing, sealing and roofing around the chimney again.

Who did the flashing job? if a roofer, then contact him and see what he can do for you.

First try to PINPOINT THE PROBLEM by bringing a garden hose up to the roof and playing a hard water stream on one side of the chimney, and then at different points until you can determine exactly where the water is coming in----be sure to start your water spray at the BOTTOM of the chimney at the flashing, and then work your way up gradually until a leak appears; use a strong light to check the inside chimney liner for any leaks; look closely to see if you can detect any hairline cracks in the mortar around the crown, and along the sides of the chimney.

The waterseal coating, and the suggestions of dj1 should also be checked out if you are unable to locate the leak with the garden hose------a stainless steel chimney cap with a wide head that covers the chimney top should also be considered to prevent any heavy rains from entering the chimney flue & any hairline openings that may exist in the internal mortared chimney liner sections.

Don't give up----you'll find the leak eventually if you're patient & persistent.
    Last edited by Pelton; 08-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

I'd do the garden hose thing first.

Work VERY slowly. Don't get impatient and move the garden hose up the chimney too fast as it will take a while for the water to seep through. Listen very very carefully. Early Sunday mornings are best

Yes, the water could be going behind the flashing.

I would re-do the flashing, sealing and roofing around the chimney again.

Who did the flashing job? if a roofer, then contact him and see what he can do for you.

Yeah, roofer did the flashing and he's been back a few times working on it and I really don't think it's because of his work. He said in all his years roofing this is the first he's ever had leak and I believe him (real God fearing man).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelton View Post
    First try to PINPOINT THE PROBLEM by bringing a garden hose up to the roof and playing a hard water stream on one side of the chimney, and then at different points until you can determine exactly where the water is coming in----be sure to start your water spray at the BOTTOM of the chimney at the flashing, and then work your way up gradually until a leak appears; use a strong light to check the inside chimney liner for any leaks; look closely to see if you can detect any hairline cracks in the mortar around the crown, and along the sides of the chimney.

The waterseal coating, and the suggestions of dj1 should also be checked out if you are unable to locate the leak with the garden hose------a stainless steel chimney cap with a wide head that covers the chimney top should also be considered to prevent any heavy rains from entering the chimney flue & any hairline openings that may exist in the internal mortared chimney liner sections.

Don't give up----you'll find the leak eventually if you're patient & persistent.

Already got a chimney cap on it and with a vaulted ceiling and foam insulation already sprayed, it's not possible to get to the underside of the roof to pinpoint a water leak. Crown and top row of bricks is sealed tight and there's no water coming down the flue.