Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink no elec in dining room

well i have one more question for you all..our dining room after 5 yrs of living here, as ceased to have electric in it..? what could have happened? the outlets on all three walls dont work anymore and the light fixture does not work either, all stopped at the same time? anything we can do to check this out? at one time we had pics of all walls before drywall went up, but wouldnt you know it, it was stored in a computer and when we dropped computer off to get fixed..they 'closed', and we can get back our computer as they are long gone! but the kitchen in front of the dining room work fine, the foyer on the other side works fine, and the other side of the house works fine, its just the dining room. thanks again.
    and i think i know where to find your answers. thanks all, hope you can help !
    renee

Default Re: no elec in dining room

First thing to check is the circuit breakers.

Locate your main electric panel and open it. You'll see a bunch of switches. Inspect each of the 15 amp and 20 amp and make sure they are all in the "on" position. Not half way to "on", but all the way to "on". If one of them keeps tripping, it's your sign of trouble.

After this step, report to us.

ok, nothing is 'tripping' in the elec. box..all switches are strongly in the on position.
    (someone told us that its probably in the 'junction box', and they said its probably in the ceiling? but they dont know this to be a fact and if it is, we have drywall up for 5 years now and we dont really know how to look for that?
    so,hehee, carry on, im listening to you ! thanks so much !

OK, all circuit breakers are in on position.

Visually inspect the breakers and make sure they are all sitting snuggly. Don't touch any wires. See if they look like new or a little burnt.

If you have a junction box hidden in the walls, that's not good. By code, all junction boxes must be accessible, not hidden. What type of wiring do you have? also, did this problem just appear recently, after a long period of no problem?

all breakers fit snug and have been replaced just in case!
    and yes the situation happened suddenly, without warning of any kind. and *** we didnt know that about the junction box not allowed behind walls.(we bought the place with just a skeleton of 2x4's for walls and prior owners had the elec done THEY SAID by a professional. so when we realized a different problem.(like our mstr bath and bath on opposite side of wall have each others elec outlets, so two of them are backwards...geesh.so after we realized that we called the old owners and they gave us the elec guys name and he got rude with us and said, hey i work at the airport, i did that just as a favor for them,i dont do that anymore! so we got screwed, it was too late to do anything about it. but back to the dining room..yes all at once it happened, i thought it was just in need of a light bulb in the ceiling, then that didnt work, and i thought, let me plug in a lamp, then i realized no outlets worked either in that room. there are 5 outlets in that room.
    thanks again
    renee

sorry, we dont know what kind of wiring we have, is there a way to find out?

Same answer here as to your other problem.

have you seen the wire, was it metal, yellow or white, or just 2 wires running freely?

Next step is to check the receptacles. If the wires are stuck in the holes on the back, called stab connections, that may be your problem. The wires should be moved to the screws on the receptacles. Make sure the power to the room is shut off.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack,
    All plugs on 3 walls quit at the same time. And what if the wires are 12 gauge? no stab connection in that case. We have to identify the wires.

It could also be a short, a nail/screw in the wall touching a wire, a worn out breaker, a breaker with a bad connection or wetness in the panel.

However, all this discussion may be unnecessary, if the PO can't cut the wall, as he mentioned in his other posting.