+ Reply to Thread

Arrow relocation of 4 elec outlets

we are cutting a 7 ft wide by 80 inches tall hole to adjoin two livingroom. we need to move two elec plugs on each side of wall
    (4 total)..we need to move them about 3 ft out and then run elec over the doorway we make. how do we do that? do we need to run all new wires? or can we piggyback onto the existing wires? and our ceilings are 9 ft tall so running over top of new doorway wont be a problem. and our upstairs floor joists dont run to the sides of the house but from front to back along with the beams we have run front to back of home. it was built in 1859. but newer walls and elect are now in place with normal 2x4's. the whole wall is 13 ft by 9 ft tall. we only want an opening of 7 ft wide by 80 inches tall.
    and do we need to brace that wall from floor to ceiling before we cut it out?
    thanks so much. and emailing me would be great and tell me where to find these answers at on here. thanks again.
    renee and charlie

Default Re: relocation of 4 elec outlets

Let's deal with what you have one by one.

Electric: moving plugs is possible, but it has to be done to code. You didn't mention what type of wiring you have. If you are not familiar with electric work, I recommend calling a pro. Doing it wrong can be fatal.

Framing: first determine if this wall is a bearing wall. That means supporting a load. If not, you will need to support the joists above (brace from floor to ceiling) while you install the new header for the opening.

I don't want to scare you off, but these projects are advance DIY.

To underscore what was pointed out above;

If this is a load bearing wall you have some serious framing ahead of you. That may change your plans depending on the clearance of the needed sizes of lumber to span the doorway. Check this out thoroughly before making a hole in the wall.

ok, what i do know about that wall is, another wall sits atop of it upstairs.
    the joists run the opposite of the wall so i will say it is a non-weight bearing wall.
    and we're looking now to see what kind of wiring it is..will it say on the wires?

At this point I think you will need the help of an electrician. Find a reliable one, from a friend, neighbor or relative, and let him solve your problem.

ok thanks for your help !

You don't have enough evidence presented to be sure its not load bearing. What you wrote - that very well could be a load bearing wall. The first 2 sentences are typical of load bearing walls. Best get another opinion.

hoosierclerk,

As I mentioned before, and as Houston is telling you, you need to determine if this wall is a bearing wall. The fact that there is a wall above it, tells me that it could very likely be a bearing wall. Here you will need the help of a professional engineer or architect.