+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Old House to Give Away - will people pay to move it?

We have an old house in the family (approx 250 years old) that has a LOT of the original structure left including some original windows, walls, even tiles on the roof that have been covered with current roofing material.

The house needs a lot of updating (insulation, new kitchen, bathrooms, lead paint removal, etc). As a result we are thinking of building a new home in its place to fit our growing family, but we would hate to see such a unique home be torn down. Do you feel there may be individuals who love old homes willing to pay to relocate the structure and enjoy the home as their own? If yes, any ideas where we could reach out to such individuals? This house is located in northern Massachusetts.

Thank you!

Default Re: Old House to Give Away - will people pay to move it?

Contact all of your local house moving companies. They usually have lists of people looking for homes which need to be moved. The matter is complicated by the types of homes differnt people are looking for plus where different homes can reasonably be transported to. A small load bridge , steep hill or power lines may nix an otherwise great deal.

Contact your local historical society. The often have plots for homes to be parked, or folks who want them, or resources to connect you with the right person.

Who pays for what is negotiated. Consider that you would have to pay for demolition as part of the deal, not only focusing on them getting a new home. Donating the house may also be considered. Everyone wins when a historic home is saved from the wrecking ball.

Thanks so much for the response! Yes, I would love to give the house away to an old-house loving family or person or association with the assumption that they would pay for the move.

I will check this out - thank you! --> Contact all of your local house moving companies. They usually have lists of people looking for homes which need to be moved. Contact your local historical society. The often have plots for homes to be parked, or folks who want them, or resources to connect you with the right person.

Don't forget This Old House magazine either as they profile houses that people want to either give away or sell. I don't know all of the qualifying factors but I imagine the house has to have some interesting history behind it and must be fairly old as to how old I can't say. All of this of course comes from just my observations from reading the segment in This Old House magazine. It sure can't hurt anyway. I think too that you could post some of your pictures you have of the house in the forum and someone might be interested.
    If you can't move the house and people say it would be too expensive or impossible due to power lines etc. then think about donating just the house to Habitat For Humanity. Habitat will de-construct the house and sell what they can at their store. When they are finished about all you would have to do would be maybe dig out the basement if apllicable and then get your foundation ready for a new house either stick built or factory built. Good luck to you!

Thanks so much!! Such a great idea. I know the house actually has a lot of the original structure and features left, which is part of our challenge (cost to make it modern). I had a gentleman walk through the house who restores old structures to give us estimates and he even pointed out the original windows that have dripping(?) glass, old operable Indian shutters among other items. It is actually an old sea captains house as we have some of his logs from the ship, which was found in the attic many years ago so perhaps we have something here! I'll let you know what pans out =)