+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I go over linoleum?

We have 2 layers of linoleum down and we're wondering if we could go over it with another layer or is it easy to remove? The person we bought the house from did a lot of "strange" things and we are trying to fix them inexpensively.

Default Re: Can I go over linoleum?

you can do what ever you want, but honestly i would remove teh old first not only to make for less of a trip hazard but to see if there are any issues with the subfloor which youll be able to repair at that time. such as rot or loose boards which can be refastened with screws to help eliminate squeaks and such
    fire up the saw and make some dust

To answer your question about removal of the existing 2 layers: sometimes they are glued so tight that you need to use a professional long handle sc**** tool and some muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To answer your question about removal of the existing 2 layers: sometimes they are glued so tight that you need to use a professional long handle sc**** tool and some muscle.
    Are the handles long enough on these?

[IMG]http://www.pressuresprayers.net/Pictures/electricsc****r.jpg[/IMG]

If the vinyl is over concrete, then any number of powered and manual sc****rs will work to remove the vinyl with relative ease.

When the vinyl is over a wood sublfoor, my preferred method of removal is to dig through all the layers to find out what the underlayment and sublayer is. Usually, vinyl is laid over particle board or plywood underlayment which is in turn over the subfloor. It is easiest to use a circular saw and a garbage blade to cut through the layers of vinyl and the underlayment, leaving the subfloor intact.

1 - Cut a checkered pattern throughout the room.
    2 - Using a hammer and flat bar, pry up the pieces and toss them.
    3 - Repair any damage to the subfloor
    4 - Overlay subfloor with new layer of underlayment such as particle board. Nail with ring shank nails or deck screws in a 6/12 pattern, 6" along all edges, 12" across the field.
    5 - Float out the seams and fasteners with floor leveling compound until you've got a completely smooth surface.
    6 - Either make a paper template of the floor or cut the vinyl to fit in place.
    7 - Roll back half of the vinyl and apply glue, lay vinyl back down and roll with a weighted vinyl roller.
    8 - Repeat with other half of room.

Done! Just that easy!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

that makita is awesome, i gotta get me one of those

As a moderator, I don't suppose there's anything you can do about the language filter. There's no reason for scr aper to be censored. The root word of evil needs to be removed from the banned list. I'm quite certain that any post with the evil root word used correctly won't last long enough to see the light of day, neither will the offending member.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

ive been wondering the same thing... i dont have the power of a thesaurus, figeratively or literally... im a carpenter not a miracle worker

Well Spruce, you got the right state of the art tools for the toughest job...I guess I still live in the 20th century (actually I get somebody else to do the scr aping).

Another option, when the old floor is on a slab: propane torch. Caution: don't set the house on fire.

true about the torch, i was actually using a torch the other day to replace some VC tile, all you want to do is warm it up enough so its flexible and soften up the adhesive so the tile will pull up easily, not actually burn it, very low heat with quick passes so the flame warms up the adhesive

Another reason to remove the layer is that any chair or table you place on the floor will make indentations in the flooring that is padded that much.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb