Last month we purchased our first old home. It was the 2nd home purchase each for my wife and I but our first together. Both of us have always lived in newer construction, but felt drawn to the character, style and layout of the older homes.

1925 Beaux Arts Greek Revival. 3200 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2-1/2 bath, wood frame, stucco exterior, all plaster interior except 1 wall in master bedroom. All hardwood floors. The 3 room master suite has a sitting room and a master bedrom with a standup shower and soaking tub. The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms share a bath with a Jack & Jill tub. It has an attached 2 car garage that's 1/2 of the full basement.

The walls are 2x6 construction and I think might even have insulation. Floor joists are 2x8's. IT has a poured concrete foundation with interior brick supporting walls as well as 1 steel I-beam supports. The basement is very dry with only 1 large crack.

There are 42 windows! Yes, 42, including a 4' x 6' picture window overlooking the river. except 3 picture windows all are original and seem pretty well sealed.

The boiler and window ac units were replaced by the previous owners with 2 furnaces and central ac. The cooling bills surprisingly aren't too bad. $260 after a very very hot July.

The house is located on top of a 100 foot bluff overlooking the mississippi river.

We spray foam insulated the underside of the roof deck.( it had a sealed attic space). We're installing new storm windows, painted all of the exterior trim, new storm doors, some repair to the columns and porch in front and the lawn and landscaping need some TLC. There driveway needs replacing, but it still functional. IT has a really cool deck hanging over the bluff on 30' piers, but it needs replacing. Plus plenty of little things that all old homes have. Fortunately the stone retaining wall is in good conditional with all the rain we've had. Most neighbours have had major bluff erosion issues and land slides.

The quietness created by the stucco and plaster walls is AMAZING! Having late 20th century tract homes and subdivisions, I, didn't realize how quiet a house could be. When there's a storm, all I heard is rain.

We absolutely love this house. In a way that no new McMansion could ever approach... since they lack anything resembling character.