+ Reply to Thread

Default Rock House Wall repair

My house was built in 1905 out of Basalt rock. We had put a swamp cooler in a window & it seems the water from the cooler seeped into the rock and then into the wall causing the paint and all the layers underneath to peel up. There was a couple spots of mold that I cleaned with bleach. But now I have this HUGE 6 foot patch that I have no clue how to patch. There is no drywall it looks like cement.

Default Re: Rock House Wall repair

You first have to deal with the cooler. Fix it and make sure that it doesn't leak anymore.

I don't understand what's wrong with the 6 ft cement patch. can you clarify?

It was most likely a mortar of cement and lime the water has caused the High lime mortar to fail over time.
    If it is a high lime mortar it would have taken 3 to 5 years for the mortar to fail.

We actually moved the cooler to a different part of the house that isnt rock. The area needing patched is about six feet long. So, if it lime and mortar how do I repair the wall.

I think you may need NHL 5 (Natural Hydraulic Lime) It would be used for repointing the joints and parging walls also used like you would for plastering and stucco.
    Check the following producters.
    LIME WORKS.US
    VIRGINIA LIME WORKS
    Also check your local area for St. Astier Lime products.