+ Reply to Thread

Default Basalt Rock House

My house was built in 1905 out of Basalt rock. There is missing 'stuff'' inbetween the rocks. What do I use to fill in those spaces?

Default Re: Basalt Rock House

That "stuff" is most likely mortar.

I would suggest you check with local masons, because you don't normally just fill those spaces. Pointing must be properly done to be effective and with the right mortar.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'd also contact the area masons. If that stone is native to your area, they'd know best. I usually ask the guys with the roughest hands and the grayest hair. They might know the person who did your house the first time.

Most of the guys who would of built my house would now be builders in heaven! LOL Anyway, thanks for the advice.

There are different types of mortar; two of the most common are based on some kind of lime or Portland cement. It is not a good idea to mix the two. Based upon the age of the house and the location (Idaho), I would guess it's Portland cement, but only an experienced mason would be able to tell you after looking at it.

I'm guessing that the house is near a road? Road salt will eat away at mortar over time. But then again, at over 100 years old, the mortar probably isn't holding up anyway.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.