+ Reply to Thread

Default hardwood flooring

I have hardwood flooring throughout my house, I want to redo one room at a time. i do not want to rent a big sander Is there a small sander that I can use that I can buy?

Default Re: hardwood flooring

There are different size sanders, but they aren't cheap. If money is an object, consider renting, however not all rental places carry small sanders, so ask around.

Caution: I don't know the condition of your floor, but I do know that you can damage whatever you have if you don't know how to operate a sander. If you're not sure, hire a pro (most are less than $2/sf).

I agree with dj1, leave it to a pro if you're not proficient with a sander and know exactly what kind of flooring you have.

If you've got solid wood floors, then sanding won't be a problem, though it's still very easy to damage or destroy the floor if you don't know what you're doing.

If you've got engineered floors, then the likelihood that you can do anything at all with them is extremely low. Most engineered floors have a very thinly veneered top layer that will not stand up to any sort of sanding what-so-ever. There are a few brands such as Kahrs (Swedish manufacturer ) that has a nice thick top layer that you can get a light sanding or two out of.

If you continue forward, there are a number of different types of sanders. The most common is the barrel sander, used for removing a large amount of material very quickly. There is an edge sander, which gets along edges where the barrel sander won't go. There is a sanding screen, which is used with a typical floor polishing machine. From there you get into hand tools such as a belt sander, orbital sander, palm sander, and sanding block.

You can rent the larger machines from any good commercial rental house. The smaller machines can be purchased for a few hundred dollars or less for each piece.

If you go forward with this yourself, I highly recommend purchasing a piece of plywood to practice on until you get a feel for just how quickly these machines remove material, and how careful you have to be when using them. Final note, purchase extra sanding media for each machine you use, You will always use far more than you expect and you can return the unused portion when you're finished.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There are a couple types of sanders available at tool rental stores: One is the traditional drum sander. These require some degree of skill, as stopping while the sander is running can cause an instant groove in your floor. They are also quite heavey. You will also need a floor edging sander.

The other type looks like a giant pad sander. It oscillates and will not do serious damage if you stop its motion for moment. It has a handle and you control it by walking behind it. It uses large, square cut pieces of floor sandiong paper. You rental center can give you instruction on its use. This type of sander will also get tighter to the baseboards, negating the use of an edge sander.

However, several rentals over a period of time could well approach what having a pro flooring guy do the job would cost.