+ Reply to Thread

Default 1st homebuyer, 1946 home with 2006 septic system,advise please

Yes I am a 1st time homebuyer in Jacksonville Fl, the house I want was built in 1946, they replace the septic system in 2006. Don't know why they didn't go with City sewer, but just because the house has a septic system is giving me pause. I have heard all the horror stories, should I pass it by and keep on looking.

Default Re: 1st homebuyer, 1946 home with 2006 septic system,advise please

If city sewer is available you could always connect. What horror stories have you heard? Most of the ones I've heard is caused by dumb mistakes by owners. Have had septic systems most of my life and haven't had as much problems as city friends with back-ups and clogged drains.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

if the septic system has passed the inspection and it's relatively new, which it is, then i woulnd't worry about it. up in the north east some people prefer a septic system, it can save you money on using the public sewer system. the only worry is what you can and can not put down the disposal.

The homeowner probably didn't connect to the city sewer because of the costs associated with a new connection. These fees can be several thousand dollars to connect ($2,800 in my district) and then construction costs to connect to the city main could range from $4,000 to $6,000, maybe more or less where you are. Then when you connect to the city main, monthly sewer bills begin.
    Slow The Flow