+ Reply to Thread

Default Porch Deck Replacement

I have a 25 year old redwood T&G porch deck that needs replacement in some exposed areas. I'm thinking of replacing the redwood with 1 1/4" T&G exterior grade plywood and then using the Sani-Tred waterproofing material process to seal all exposed areas. Sani-Tred has good information on using their material and it seems to have a very good reputation. Has anyone used San-Tred to waterproof an outdoor deck.
    Thank you,

Default Re: Porch Deck Replacement

if the product your talking about is anything like duradek, then yes. if you are going to get it intalled get one of their techs to do it. i strongly recommend that you dont try to do it yourself, its tricky product to work with.

the installers ive used want the plywood screwed down 6" o.c and do not use blue skin or the primer before their product goes down it will react with it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I've seen a lot of this stuff over balconies and outdoor conrete walkways (in motels and apartment buildings).

If it has an application to go over plywood, like jkirk mentioned, then go for it. Caution: do it right or don't do it at all.

if you do my method, your layout for the sleepers should be meticoulous so when your decking goes down you have clean lines and an even overhang.. it can get real messy looking quick if you dont
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The Sani-Tred material is very different from the Duradek material. Sani-Tred is 4 step process where polyurethane liquids are applied. The end result seems to be very tough and last a long time. The old decking will be removed and new plywood will be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    if the product your talking about is anything like duradek, then yes. if you are going to get it intalled get one of their techs to do it. i strongly recommend that you dont try to do it yourself, its tricky product to work with.

the installers ive used want the plywood screwed down 6" o.c and do not use blue skin or the primer before their product goes down it will react with it