+ Reply to Thread

Thread: product search

Default Is there a pipe clamp that .... ?

The copper supply line for my toilet is not clamped to a stud - it can be pulled out from the wall a good 2 inches. Is there any type of clamp that can be used to secure the pipe to the drywall? I'm thinking that it would have to have a center hole with teeth going only one way so that it could be slipped onto the pipe and then fastened to the drywall with anchors or preferably a stud behind the drywall. I was trying to replace the old shutoff valve with a new quarter-turn. If there is a way to secure this pipe, I should do it before putting on the new valve.
    Last edited by tandmj; 08-08-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Default Re: product search

Although it's not good practise to not have the line secured it shouldn't cause any problems. Once the supply line is hooked up to the toilet it will take some of the movement out of it. Just change the valve and you'll be fine.

John

Let me add to what John has said:

But if you want to secure the pipe to the nearest stud, you will need to cut the drywall, use a copper clamp to secure the pipe, then finish the drywall.

Fill the wall cavity around the pipe with expanding foam. Will hold as tight as a strap.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Fill the wall cavity around the pipe with expanding foam. Will hold as tight as a strap.
    Casey

That's cheating!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    That's cheating!
    It may be cheating but I have to admit it will work.

John

Thumbs up Re: product search

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Casey
    brilliant!

Dang it, someone beat me to the foam trick before I got to respond.

It will work just fine. For the best hold, use the stuff in the blue can as it is denser. Also try to blow / vacuum out any dust before shooting in the foam. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. That is pretty important when using the foam. Have newspaper spread out to catch any dripped foam as it is a PITA to clean when wet. Cured it chips off pretty easily.