+ Reply to Thread

Default House Centipedes

I've been noticing a lot of house centipedes in my home lately. The research I've done so far seems to indicate that this is a common problem in older buildings, especially in warmer weather, and that it's not a matter of cleanliness as they are predatory insects that don't feed on human food.

However, I've also noticed a lot of DEAD house centipede bodies just randomly in the middle of the floor. I don't know where they are coming from, but it happens seemingly overnight. I don't have any pets that could be attacking them.

Does anyone know where these dead house centipede bodies are coming from, or how to keep them out of my home (both dead and alive)?

Default Re: House Centipedes

The article below by Jeffrey Hahn and Mark Ascerno is the most authoratative and comprehensive that I could find; it explains that centipedes need moisture to survive, so damp or wet basements or bathroom/kitchens that have leaky plumbing are a real draw for these arthopods; once inside the home, they spread out to the rest of the house searching for prey.

Eliminate wall cracks with foam crack filler & tighten up door thresholds, and follow the other recommendations at the site listed; perhaps even a dehumidifier for the summer months to dry out the basement area.

So in addition to attacking the centipedes directly, you have to eliminate entry points from outdoors, and eliminate as much moisture from the basement, bath & kitchen as possible; it's likely that centipedes are driven inside this time of year in many parts of the country by the typically dry weather that is common in August, so they are attracted to the relatively moist areas found in basements.

Any supermarket roach/ant spray will stop any centipedes that can be seen; the other chemicals mentioned for indoor and near-outdoor use, as mentioned in the article, should be very effective.

Cover any open food with sheets of newspaper or plastic sheeting and start your attack using the supermarket roach/ant spray under kitchen cabinets and behind bathroom areas that have water pipes; also spray any moist areas in the basement or crawl spaces; any obvious foundation cracks should also be sprayed---this in itself may be enough to solve the problem; if not, go to the home improvement center and buy one of the more powerful chemicals listed in the article that is recommended for indoor use.

To access the article, Google "Sow bugs, millipedes, and centipedes in the home"
    Last edited by Pelton; 08-09-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Thank you, Pelton!

Vacuum your house always as centipedes live by food particles, pests and dead skin that may be left in or under the rug. If possible, vacuum everyday.