+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 14" rough in and require a small toilet

I decided to surprise my husband with a bathroom remodel while he was out of town. He came home to find a bathroom with no sink and no toilet. Apparently I destroyed the only toilet in the world that fit the space. We have a 14" rough and the small space allows for only a 26" depth from the wall. I have spent hours on-line trying to find a toilet with no success. My husband insists the adapters that would allow the use of a 12" rough in do not work well. Does anybody know of any options?!?

Default Re: 14" rough in and require a small toilet

One solution is to find out who manufactured your toilet and contact the company. Look for a stamp or a name in the tank or the bowl.

If it's an old toilet or a discontinued model and you're out of luck finding an exact size, look at the possibility of remodifing the drain.

Toto makes a 14" adaptor for their toilets. They come with a standard 12" adaptor, so the 14"er will need to be ordered separately.

your best bet is to go to a plumbing supply wholesaler which plumbers buy through. they would be the most likely to have it.. trying at a big box store is like trying to find a needle in a haystack
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Bad Wife:

I really don't understand why you can't simply install an ordinary toilet with a 12 inch rough in into the space you have. You don't need to replace a toilet with a 14 inch rough in with another toilet made for a 14 inch rough in.

The "rough in" is simply the distance from the finished wall to the centerline of the toilet's drain pipe.

So, if you install a toilet intended for a 12 inch rough in, it'll simply mean that you'll have an extra 2 inches of space between the toilet tank and the wall.

That extra space is in fact somewhat of a benefit because it allows air circulation behind the toilet tank to prevent the wall from getting cold and condensation forming on the wall and damaging the plaster there. I've often seen deteriorated plaster behind toilet tanks because of condensation forming on the cold wall there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Bad Wife:

I really don't understand why you can't simply install an ordinary toilet with a 12 inch rough in into the space you have. You don't need to replace a toilet with a 14 inch rough in with another toilet made for a 14 inch rough in.

The "rough in" is simply the distance from the finished wall to the centerline of the toilet's drain pipe.

So, if you install a toilet intended for a 12 inch rough in, it'll simply mean that you'll have an extra 2 inches of space between the toilet tank and the wall.

That extra space is in fact somewhat of a benefit because it allows air circulation behind the toilet tank to prevent the wall from getting cold and condensation forming on the wall and damaging the plaster there. I've often seen deteriorated plaster behind toilet tanks because of condensation forming on the cold wall there.
    What also happens when you install a 12" rough toilet on a 14" rough you move the toilet forward into the room. From what the Bad Wife said she only has 26" of depth in the room. Most toilets are between 26" and 30" in depth, putting a 12" rough toilet on a 14" rough in would move the front of toilet even farther forward. I'm afraid she has a real problem finding a toilet to fit in such a limited space.

John

Johnjh2o:

OK, if push comes to shove and she can't find a toilet with a 14 inch rough in:

Can she remove the floor flange she has, cut the drain pipe and install an offset floor flange to "make" a 12 inch rough in (or thereabouts) so a 12 inch toilet will fit with about the same legroom as she had before?

If I'm reading her post correctly all see has is 26" other then a toilet for a boat or RV they are all 26' to 30' from front to back when installed on the correct rough. That that gives her no room to get past the toilet with out jumping over it. Changing the flange to 12" rough will give her the same result.

john

precisely john, the flange location is pretty much a standard measurement, the bowl size however can change like the maritime weather
    fire up the saw and make some dust