+ Reply to Thread

Default hot water from boiler vs. electric hot water

Hello
    My house's hot water currently comes off the boiler which is oil fired so that means in the spring summer and fall THe boiler is running to keep the hot water tank hot. With the price of oil in the north east around 4.25 - 4.50gal today I was thinking of installing an electric hot water heater 230v maybe with a timer and shutting off the boiler during the warm seasons.
    I was told by someone that the boiler will last longer if left on, not sure if they owned stock in an oil company or not but do any of the heating experts on here know if it is ok to do this and has anyone installed a electric hot water heater in a similar situation. when heating oil was 1.05 a gal it was cheaper than electric but now I think it must be the other way around.

thank you in advance

Default Re: hot water from boiler vs. electric hot water

Depending on you hot water usage, a electric water heater can run between $35.00 and $50.00 a month. Compare that to your oil usage in the summer months.

John

I have also heard of a possibility, that you could get a hot water heater that is in line with the boiler. so basically in the winter the boiler heats up water before it enters the water heater. so the water heater is just maintaining the hot water. and in the summer months you can turn off the boiler all together so you save on oil and then the water heater is doing all the work. hope that makes sense.

I have electric hot water. I think it costs me maybe $20 a month to run because with 4 people in a house and a 50 gallon heater. It is on a timer, and the heater is only on about 4 hours/day.
    Good luck!

perhaps other people have said this, but you can install an indirect fired water heater (using boiler water as the heat source) with an electric coil also. Run it with electricity in the summer months, run it with oil in the winter.