+ Reply to Thread

Question How to clean & restore gumwood trim/moulding/mantle

My 116 year old house has gumwood trim around doors and windows and crown moulding in every room. The fireplace also has gumwood trim and a mantle. The trim around the fireplace and the mantle is dirty and dull. I would like to know the best way to clean it and make it look less dull. Sheila

Default Re: How to clean & restore gumwood trim/moulding/mantle

What is gumwood?
    how is it finished? paint, varnish, shellac, oiled, raw, etc.
    A good cleaning appropriate for the finish would be the first place to start.

Assuming that the woodwork has a stain and varnish finish, I would try either lemon oil or Scott's Liquid ****. They will remove any oily like accumulation and leave a nice patina.

If the woodwork has a heavy accumulation of household dirt, you might try washing the woodwork first with a mild solution of Dirtex or Soilax first, followed by the lemon oil or Liquid ****. It is never a good idea to leave a heavy water accumulation on woodwork. Immediately wipe the woodwork dry after washing.

ED21,

Gumwood was used commonly in the earlier part of the last century. It is relatively soft and milled easily. It had a rather plain, tight graining. It was more commonly used for painted woodwork, somewhat like basswood or poplar.