+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default patching concrete sidewalks

A city owned tree has cracked a 4' x 3' section of my sidewalk. They will not remove tree, just grind the roots down. I've been advised by tree experts that roots will grow again in 3 to 4 years and break sidewalk again. Quotes for new sidewalk are from $2,500 to $3,500. The broken pieces are large and should fit back together like a puzzle. Can I remove the pieces, grind the tree roots down, add as many layers of gravel and sand to stabilize then put the pieces back and cover with concrete resurfacing product? I can't stand the thought of spending thousands of dollars every few years to replace this dangerous sidewalk. Thanks for any advice!!

Default Re: patching concrete sidewalks

why should you pay for the repair, in most areas this is a city issue. their crews should be fixing it. the only thing i can recommend as a temp fix though is if you have access to a mini grinder is to grind the concrete where the crack is to lesson the chance of a trip hazard
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Kill the tree, the city will fix the sidewalk when they remove it. Just don't make it obvious that the tree was purposefully harmed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I had a similar problem in my former house in suburban Chicago. The Village had a co-operative sidewalk replacement plan. For $25 per section they replaced several of my sidewalk sections. I thought it was a bargain. Check with your City/Village to see if such a program exists.

I would have to agree that the problem will probably just re-occur so long as the tree continues to grow. I have seen where a City has actually made a radius around a particularly nice tree, rather than cut it down.

my neighbor did something similar back when i was a kid... they had a tree they wanted to get rid of sooo... they drilled 3/4" holes into it and drove copper pipe into it.. this allowed rain to get into the tree which caused it to rot fromthe inside thus killing it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    my neighbor did something similar back when i was a kid... they had a tree they wanted to get rid of sooo... they drilled 3/4" holes into it and drove copper pipe into it.. this allowed rain to get into the tree which caused it to rot fromthe inside thus killing it
    1/4" holes are less noticable. uncover and drill larger roots, then inject with round up. A couple weeks later the tree will be nice and brown, ready for the city to come remove it and repair the sidewalk!

If anyone asks, you heard this from Gizmo, not me!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: patching concrete sidewalks due to Tre Roots

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Kill the tree, the city will fix the sidewalk when they remove it. Just don't make it obvious that the tree was purposefully harmed.
    (1) Several big cities have ordinances requiring property owners to maintain city sidewalks Ė for example, New York and San Jose where I once lived. Basic issue is money and high union labor costs -- they can't maintain roads/streets so they're not touching sidewalks unless part of a below ground project.
    (2) Killing a public tree ? -- highly unethical, but my car was "keyed" once or twice and I've done the same to jerks, so that's the way of the world. I suspect my backyard neighbors and/or their contractors are dumping brush debris on my side of the property line.
    Hope your neighbors don't take the same liberties with your property, landscape, etc. when they don't like something.

Here's a Twilight Zone ending to killing a city tree -- it'll take years for the tree to die and in the meantime, you'll have a brown tree with no shade and the potential of toppling on your house. After 5 phone calls to the City, they send out a crew who will take down tree to the stump, and leave. You'll have a stump on the front of your property and broken-up sidewalk which the city isnít legally responsible to fix or don't have the money (after laying off 10% now that stimulus money & spending will be cut).

Default Re: patching concrete sidewalks due to Tre Roots

Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
    Here's a Twilight Zone ending to killing a city tree -- it'll take years for the tree to die and in the meantime, you'll have a brown tree with no shade and the potential of toppling on your house. After 5 phone calls to the City, they send out a crew who will take down tree to the stump, and leave. You'll have a stump on the front of your property and broken-up sidewalk which the city isnít legally responsible to fix or don't have the money (after laying off 10% now that stimulus money & spending will be cut).
    The trees actually die quite quickly. Once the tree is dead, it's no longer an continuing issue for the sidewalk. Let the city take down the tree, then the property owner can deal with the sidewalk. If you don't want to kill the tree, cut the offending root from under the sidewalk.

Now, I'm not particularly condoning the killing of innocent trees. IMHO, common sense applies here, as it does with all things, however, if the city can't or won't do what it is responsible for, then it is up to the citizenry to deal with it, as is always the case. For those that govern us, there is never enough money, whether in a good economy or bad, we just feel more of the pinch when things are bad.

What about turning the problem upside down and cutting the sidewalk slab pieces instead?

I'm thinking you could rent a gasoline powered concrete saw and cut through the sidewalk on both sides of the root. Remove the pieces of concrete sidewalk on each side of the root and replace with crushed limestone and pieces of wood composite decking boards that won't rot. That way, as the tree grows, you could grind down the root yourself and/or cut the decking boards narrower to accomodate the increase in root diameter. And, as long as the decking boards were approximately flush with the sidewalk, no one should be tripping.

And, of course, put up a "Watch Your Step" sign or two to cover your A$$ from those who would intentionally trip and fall so they could sue you for a reasonable profit.
    Last edited by Nestor; 08-06-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    1/4" holes are less noticable. uncover and drill larger roots, then inject with round up. A couple weeks later the tree will be nice and brown, ready for the city to come remove it and repair the sidewalk!

If anyone asks, you heard this from Gizmo, not me!
    You got it all wrong Spruce......I would drill a 1/2" hole in the tree then stick/drive a 1/2" pcs of copper pipe in it. Let the pipe stick out about 12" and hang a 1 gallon paint bucket on the end of the pipe.

When the city comes out tell them your waiting for the Maple Syrup to flow out into the bucket.......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content