+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing a tile floor in a bathroom

I am replacing the floor in a half bath and need step-by-step help. I have removed the floor down to the framing. I want to replace the old floor with something that will stand up to water from either spills or mopping. Can anyone suggest an instruction manual or book that will guide me through this process from start to finish? Thill

Default Re: Installing a tile floor in a bathroom

If you don't get the info you're after in here, your best bet would probably be to:

1. beg, borrow or steal a digital camera,
    2. open an account on any photo hosting web site, like www.photobucket.com so that you can post pictures of what you're looking at for all to see, and
    3. Register on John Bridge's web page. He runs a Q&A forum similar to this one, but his is devoted entirely to ceramic tiling, and so lots of tiling pros spend their spare time on there.

That way, you can get step by step instructions from someone as you go.

In a book, they typically gloss over stuff that they don't want to talk about cuz it's not related to tiling, but which you very well may encounter. The pros on JB's site will have seen those problems before and can advise you on how to deal with them, too.

For example, if your toilet has a lead bend, and when you take off the toilet the top of the lead bend comes with it, then you have to stop and figure out what you're gonna do. No book is gonna deal with that issue cuz it's a plumbing problem, not a tiling issue. But the pros that do that kind of work encounter problems like that all the time.

And, a picture is worth a thousand words.

if your looking for a book on tiling "Tiling Complete" which is published by "the Taunton Press" is probably one of the best books on the market.

every book and magazine that Taunton publishes such as finehomebuilding is made up of articles that are written by actual tradesman and contractors that are doing some of the best work period. there are plenty of other books however they wont show you all kinds of neat little tricks and methods that are proven plus they are simply written by someone who is rewording something someone else told them... similar to more than 50% of what they show you on the DIY network.. plenty of information given but a good portion of it is wrong and in some cases wont even pass an inspection from the building department
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You say that you demoed down to the framing. Does this mean you took it down to the joists or just the sub-floor?

The first thing you want to do is make sure the structure is strong enough to support the weight of the materials without flexing and bouncing especially if you are going to use large tiles.

If the structure flexes to much you can sister floor joists next to the ones that are already there and screw them together. Or you could use plywood sandwiched on both sides of the joist with construction adhesive and screws to make the floor stronger.

If you have taken up the sub-floor use construction adhesive to glue down 3/4" tongue and grove plywood and then screw it to the joists. Be sure any joints are nice and flush. If you still have the sub-floor there and it is structurally sound just be sure that it is nice and smooth and flat. You can use leveling compound to fill any dips to make the floor flat.

Once you have the sub-floor good you can lay down 1/4" cement board often called Hardibacker. spread thin-set on the sub-floor using the proper notch trowel then lay the 1/4" cement board down and screw it using the recommended screws.

Next use thin-set and fiberglass tape to tape the seams of the cement board.

Once everything is dry you can lay out your pattern for the tiles and begin laying the tiles using the proper mortar or thin-set and notch trowel for the size of tile you are using.

Once the tiles are set for at least 24 hours sometimes longer for larger tiles you can grout. Depending on the size of your grout lines will determine whether you use sanded or un-sanded grout.

If you are worried about water from moping you can caulk the perimeter of the tile along the walls and then cover with the base board. Seal the grout and you should not have any problems with water penetration.

There are other ways of doing it but in most situations this should give you a nice solid floor that you don't have to worry about. Good luck with your project.

Mike

I'd suggest buying John Bridge's book "Tile Your World"

You'd also fare well by heading over to the John Bridge Tile forum as it is the worlds leading tile forum on the web. Quick answers are provided by dozens of highly skilled tile professionals on all aspects of tile installation.

Thanks, gentlemen, for the advice. I'll follow up with your suggestions before proceeding further.

fixing the framing completely slipped my mind... ive only had to do this sort of thing god only knows how many times...

and for nestor, the taunton books will actually talk about fixing framing and the subfloor before going ahead with tiling.. as these books are clearly marked "for pros by pros".

its a pretty common thing to see newly tiled floors have tiles pop and grout crack because the proper prep work wasnt done to stiffen the floor up correctly. its something they dont bring up at home depot how to courses , then usually leads to people like myself getting calls as to how to fix their newly tiled floor which usually requires tearing it completely out and starting over
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I'd suggest buying John Bridge's book "Tile Your World"

You'd also fare well by heading over to the John Bridge Tile forum as it is the worlds leading tile forum on the web. Quick answers are provided by dozens of highly skilled tile professionals on all aspects of tile installation.
    Who knows where to get an e-book copy of this book? Please let me know. Thanks heaps!

I'm not sure if there is an e-copy of that particular book, but if there is, check out the store link on the John Bridge Tile Forum by googling John Bridge Tile Forum.