+ Reply to Thread

Default bathroom vent fans

All 3 bathroom fans in my mom's house allow hot air to flow into the bathroom during the hot summer months, and really cold air in the winter months, made worse by any wind. Should the electric fans have dampers already installed inside the vent between the ceiling-mounted fan and the roof ? One issue is the roof is made of ceramic tile - cracks easily if I climb on the roof. Home Depot bathroom fans seem to indicate a damper, but without buying a new fan, I do not know how to solve this problem.

Default Re: bathroom vent fans

Yes, the vent housing should have a damper shutter to prevent backdraft of downdrafts from the roof---from your post I assume your vents are situated on the roof.

There is a $20 vent you can install at the roof that will solve this problem; check out & Google the Heartland 21000 vent---originally designed for clothes dryer exhausts & set up to allow a vertical vent thru a vertical wall, the Heartland can be easily cut with a hack saw, jig saw, etc., to allow the lower part of the unit to be mounted on a 4" plastic vertical exhaust vent pipe coming out of the roof; the vent has a unique internal "shuttlecock" vent mechanism that is forced open when the vent motor comes on, & shuts off & closes the vent pipe when the vent motor shuts off---this prevents rain,snow, insects and downdrafts from entering the vent pipe when the exhaust motor is operative & inoperative---spray paint it white to improve its appearance & to match the color of the exhaust pipe.

Also consult the yellow pages under "Roofing Supplies" and check the local roofing suppliers in your area for whatever they have in the same price range that will do the same job; Home Depot/Lowes may also have someting in their roofing supply section along these same lines.
    Last edited by von_steuben; 08-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Default Re: bathroom vent fans

Quote Originally Posted by von_steuben View Post
    Yes, the vent housing should have a damper shutter to prevent backdraft of downdrafts from the roof---from your post I assume your vents are situated on the roof.

There is a $20 vent you can install at the roof that will solve this problem; check out & Google the Heartland 21000 vent---originally designed for clothes dryer exhausts & set up to allow a vertical vent thru a vertical wall, the Heartland can be easily cut with a hack saw, jig saw, etc., to allow the lower part of the unit to be mounted on a 4" plastic vertical exhaust vent pipe coming out of the roof; the vent has a unique internal "shuttlecock" vent mechanism that is forced open when the vent motor comes on, & shuts off & closes the vent pipe when the vent motor shuts off---this prevents rain,snow, insects and downdrafts from entering the vent pipe when the exhaust motor is operative & inoperative---spray paint it white to improve its appearance & to match the color of the exhaust pipe.

Im not so sure I would use this vent on a bath fan exhaust especially with a long distance.......Dryers have much more air force
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content