+ Reply to Thread

Default weathering a fence

I love the look of a weathered fence except when it hasn't done so evenly and shows jagged stains.
    I also love the idea of not having to restain the fence every 2 to 3 years.

I would like to treat a 1 year old eastern cedar fence to help it weather uniformly to a silver grey.
    I read an article years ago that mentioned a recipe that could be made from household items
    ( baking soda? vinegar?) and applied to the fence to achieve this, but didn't save the recipe.

Does anyone have this information?
    Thanks.

Default Re: weathering a fence

cabots sell a product that will speed up the process in 6 mos

Ottawan:

I understand you like the look of silvery grey "weathered" wood, but you should be aware that unprotected wood left outdoors will deteriorate much faster than protected wood.

Your fence would thank you if you would take good care of it by painting it a nice silvery grey, which would both protect it from UV light and from getting wet in the rain. And, if you were to caulk all the joints between the fence posts and rails to keep water from collecting anywhere so as to prevent wood rot, that would be nice. And, ideally, if you could use some construction adhesive to stick metal plates on the tops of the fence posts to keep them from absorbing water when it rains, your fence will think it's in heaven.

I have used the Cabot's Bleaching Oil to which Masterpainter refers. It is a very lightly gray pigmented oil based stain which gives an initial gray tone that continues to get grayer over 6 months. If the fence is not new, Cabot's recommends that you clean the fence first with its wood cleaner. A full discription of the product can be read on the Cabot website.

I am kind of a contrarian when it comes to treating a fence. Since I have over a hundred yards of "good neighbor" staggered board cedar fencing, I have elected to just clean it every other year with an oxalic acid containing fence wash and the use of my power washer. It maintains a nice natural cedar tone patina and after twelve years of age is still in great shape. The posts and structural 2x4's are of pressure treated wood. I keep the boards from coming in contact with the earth. I am of the opinion that wood kept clean and which can thoroughly dry after each rain, will last just as long as wood which has had all the treatment with stains. Stains are, to a great degree, for aesthetics.