+ Reply to Thread

Default dead grass spots

I have recently started noticing dead spots on my grass which I first thought might be fairy rings.

The spots are about 2-3 inches in diameter and they look like they have fine wispy cob webs on them. Maybe a fine mold?

The spots are multiplying but not connecting. And they are only on one third of my lawn, from the flower bed down to the sidewalk.

Facing full south, with a lot of high heat and humidity(like the rest of the northeast this summer), we have watered in the afternoon, and the dew has been quite heavy in the morning.

We have worked like mad men over the last 3 years to get this lawn back from the 40' high pine tree that we removed, and then had to dig out all the roots from that and the city street that was taken down.

Somebody please help.

Default Re: dead grass spots

Are there any neighborhood dogs which visit your lawn for the purpose of you know what?

too many spots for that, and the spots are only 2 - 3 " in diameter. Only the most OCD'd animal could do that, but thanks for the thought;

I'm having the same problem with my grass, but mine looks as if there were bleach poured in a circle. Have no idea what this is and watering and care is not doing much.
    Be sure to use proper Hidden Content on your structures.

Try pulling the grass in a few of the spots. No roots indicate a grub or similar eating them. Dig up the spots and investigate.

It sounds like a fungus. I would spray with dacanil or another fungicide labled for grass. If the grass has been killed, you may need to re-seed.