+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wires going over studs (remodeling kitchen)

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    I too would not use the devices mentioned. They are too much like back-stab receptacles. Even a junction box in the cabinet with a blank cover would be "accessible".

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com
    I don't know the product, but I avoid the back stab on any electrical device. Just this last weekend I had a switch making sparks when turned on. It turned out the back stab wire came out and was floating around. Not a switch I installed. This time the wire was properly secured.

That is exactly the point. A new product may be to code, but sometimes it's not as good as the product it was made to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Supposedly, these connectors from Home Depot can be installed without junction boxes and concealed in the wall. The manufacturer cites NEC article 334-40b as permitting it.

Your mileage -- and your inspector's opinion -- may vary.
    I think we can all expect a code change in 2014. lol. i agree with the j boxes in the cabinets. I have installed many in commercial settings where the needed the option for later to have plugs, etc. the only problem i see is still needing the slack to put in boxes in the wall to stick through the cabinet. re routing is of course the answer but it may still be tight. good luck and dont use those in wall junctions. good luck and be safe. greg

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    im with gizmo, even though it might be a good idea. ive found that not only are boxes but wiring from home depot are usually of lesser quality than that sold at a electrical wholesaler but also more expensive.

last year i built a custom home and the homeowner insisted in supplying all the electrical and wiring so to save money on the markup teh electrician makes off of supplying materials... funny thing was it ended up costing her an additional $1000
    just courious, have you had the same experience at lowes, ace, etc...?

If junction boxes are installed maybe the drops to the switches or receptacles could be replaced with a longer wires.

Might even get by with a single junction box with multiple circuits in it, using this method.

I would not hold my breath on a Code change with the "no box, stab connector". Look how long we've had back-stab 15A devices.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com