+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wires going over studs (remodeling kitchen)

Background:
    Remodeling the kitchen, mainly removing soffet (at least that is the term I have heard for the boxes over cabinets) over the cabinets so that we can add additional 12" cabinets above them for extra storage.

After removing the soffets, all of the wiring for the kitchen apparently went through the open areas in these boxes, and not through the studs, as I had expected.

Obviously, I can not just mount new cabinets over these wires, as that would not be safe. One of them doesn't have enough slack anyways, so it will almost certainly have to be cut/spliced at some point.

I had though about building a false wall out of 1X3 and putting nail guards over th the wires where the cross the studs, but I'm worried about the safety of that. These walls won't really have to carry much of any load, as the existing cabinets will support most of the weight of the new ones.

I guess the question is, do I need to re-wire everything here to be completely safe and up to code? Could each of these wires be spliced into boxes in the ceiling? Can you even splice romex and be up to code? This was not part of the plan ...

Default Re: Wires going over studs (remodeling kitchen)

The problem with splicing the wires ; the junctions need to be accessible. If you were fixin to cover the junction boxes with the cabinets you are SOL.

We usually pull the wires and run them properly. Once you get the hang of it then it goes pretty smoothly and is usually the faster way to get it done. For those wires not long enough, try re-routing the wire.

Wires can be spliced, if the junction boxes are accessible and exposed (that means, no hidden junctions/boxes inside the finished walls).

What I would do: attach a 2x2 to each stud, which will be able to carry the cabinet load. But from the pictures, do you have enough studs there?

Supposedly, these connectors from Home Depot can be installed without junction boxes and concealed in the wall. The manufacturer cites NEC article 334-40b as permitting it.

Your mileage -- and your inspector's opinion -- may vary.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Supposedly, these connectors from Home Depot can be installed without junction boxes and concealed in the wall. The manufacturer cites NEC article 334-40b as permitting it.

Your mileage -- and your inspector's opinion -- may vary.

Thats pretty slick Fencepost. Im not so sure I would use them though.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

im with gizmo, even though it might be a good idea. ive found that not only are boxes but wiring from home depot are usually of lesser quality than that sold at a electrical wholesaler but also more expensive.

last year i built a custom home and the homeowner insisted in supplying all the electrical and wiring so to save money on the markup teh electrician makes off of supplying materials... funny thing was it ended up costing her an additional $1000
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for the replies.

The old cabinets are down, and will be going back up where they were, and there are plenty of studs for holding cabinets in place.

The one wire that is the main culprit for being short is the home run, which would require about 100 feet of cable, as the box is clear on the other side of the house. Trying to find any way I can to avoid re-wiring.

Sounds like my best be may be to just hire someone to do that. Shouldn't have to tear down any other walls, since it is fairly accessible.

Wasn't planning on having any inspection done, but guess that will have to change now ...

I too would not use the devices mentioned. They are too much like back-stab receptacles. Even a junction box in the cabinet with a blank cover would be "accessible".

I don't think I would use the same electrician again and think costs to clean things up should be his/her problem.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

This is all original wiring (house built in the 1980), so not a recent thing from any electrician. Now just have to find myself a good one around here, never hired one before. Try to do most of the work myself, but don't have the tools for this job.

Maybe I missed something but what's the problem with putting a couple of junction boxes inside the new cabinets? They would be accessible and most likely hidden by whatever items you store in there. And my guess is cabinets at that height would be used for the things you don't need to get to very often.

Yeah it's not ideal but compared to re-running everything back to the panel I certainly think this is the lesser of the evils.