+ Reply to Thread

Default We want to hear YOUR money-saving tips for the October 2011 issue!

Got any great money-saving tips you care to share? Our Staff Editor wants to hear them. Post your pearls of wisdom here, and you could be featured!

Default Re: We want to hear YOUR money-saving tips for the October 2011 issue!

Saving money with any endeavor is more about common sense than anything else.

1 - Buy the right thing the first time. You don't save money if you have to return to the store 3 times to get the right item or materials for the job. If you're unsure which item you need, buy a selection that will cover the project and return the unused portion later when you go back to the store for another project.

In this same vein, many people buy items like tile or flooring when it's on sale because it's too good to pass up, not knowing how much material they need. Two things usually arise from this,:

A) Not enough material is purchased for the job, which means they run short at time of installation. Then the material is no longer available in the color or pattern. A prime example of this comes from this very forum. Home Depot Out of Stock Ceramica DaVinci "Maui" 12x12 tile .

B) The material turns out to be the wrong material for the desired application and cannot be returned because it was on clearance, discontinued, or store "no return" policies. Warehouse and boutique stores are notorious for these tactics.

It's ok to purchase sale, clearance, and discontinued items as long as you know exactly how much you need and that they're suitable for the application intended. In the case of items such as tile or laminate or wood flooring, it's a good idea to purchase several extra boxes of material because there is always going to be some breakage and waste during installation as well as if you need to do repairs later, you'll have what you need.

2 - Do things right the first time. In general, people are only looking at the initial costs of a project and try to minimize the expense by using inferior products and/or workmanship. Inferior products and workmanship do not last, which means you're not only out the initial costs, you then get to pay for everything again when the project has to be done over when the original fails. Inferior products and workmanship can also cause other problems such as rot or more serious issues such as fire or electrocution. Do it right the first time! Use the right materials for the job and install them properly. Use professional help when a task is beyond your abilities.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just because it's a good price doesn't mean it's a good deal.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You've heard it before:
    "Measure twice, cut once"

I've learned the hard way trying to cut corners with cheap buys from the store. If your budget is tight, don't buy the most expensive, meet in the middle somewhere.

another great way to save money on a renovation project is to stop into your local Habitat for Humanitys "RESTORE" you can save a large amount of money on higher priced items at these stores. they sell items that were donated either by builders or some of the big box stores. be it windows, doors, trim, paint supplies along with bathroom fixtures. renovators do all kinds of custom jobs where the client changes their mind every 5 minutes, when this happens items get installed then removed simply because of personal taste. once a fixture has been opened or installed they can no longer return it soooo they either sell it for a discounted price or the builder just donates it so its out of their shop/warehouse taking up space . plus the procedes go to a good cause
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by douga248 View Post
    I've learned the hard way trying to cut corners with cheap buys from the store. If your budget is tight, don't buy the most expensive, meet in the middle somewhere.
    Back in my pro days, many of my customers came to me with this attitude, they wanted the cheapest thing they could get because that is what they thought they could afford. I approached the projects from the other side of the coin. I needed to know what they wanted, not what they thought they could afford. From there I could discuss the pros/cons of various materials and finishes and then give them options that would allow them to choose and get far more than they expected for their money.

This was not a ploy to garner more money from a job, it was used solely to educate the customer and make sure they got as close to exactly what they wanted as was possible within the budget constraints. The end result was a happy client, happy job, and repeat business when the client wanted something else done.

The key to homeowners going through this process is to choose a reputable contractor or tradesman whom you trust and that will work with you to help you understand how "cheap" isn't as money saving as you might think. Doing things right the first time will ALWAYS save you money in the long run.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you got er pontiac. theres nothing more dissappointing than doing work for a customer. giving them what they want along the lines of doing things cheap then when the product fails they start giving your company a bad rap for doing exactly what they wanted.

its always better to go above what they want to a certain amount so they dont second guess any decisions they made. there are two types of callbacks for contractors, the good type and the bad type

bad type: my front door is binding and i cant open it... spend half a day to remove it and reinstall

good type: i just loved what you did with my bathroom and walk in closet, can you come back and build a custom mantle with shelving to either side in teh family room
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Buy or rent the right tool for the job. You will save time and waste.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    theres nothing more dissappointing than doing work for a customer. giving them what they want along the lines of doing things cheap then ...
    I had an interview with a potential client who was under the impression I needed to get a resale license so that I could charge her less on materials. She swore that it would save her money, she didn't understand that there is NO sidestepping sales tax. If it is not paid at point of purchase then it is collected on the IMPROVED VALUE of the work done, not to mention having to charge higher rates due to increased paperwork, record keeping, and taxes. Needless to say, she never became a client.