+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusty Tub

Default Rusty Tub

I have a tub that is original to our home (26)yrs old and showing signs of its age. There is rust building-up near the overflow drain, I've tried to clean it a number of times, however, the rust seems to be spreading. We had new floor tiles putin a few years ago. Not sure if there is something that can be used to stop the rust, other than changing the tub. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Rusty Tub

Is this a steel tub or cast iron? A magnet will stick to a steel tub.

If it is a steel tub there is nothing you can do. Install a new tub with a new all-plastic drain kit. The cable driven tub drains are sweet.

It is a steel tub. Thanks for your advise.

Even reglazing won't get rid of the rust. I would replace the tub.

Not the easiest job with tiles all around, but it could be done.

Since i would be replacing the tub, i was considering taking down the tiles and replacing it with a a fiberglass unit. any suggestions?

I don't care for fiberglass tub shower units. But they are a reasonable option for many folks, flaws and all.

There are plenty of models to choose from, in a wide range of prices. Some are very attractive too.

If you like one, go for it.

Try removing the overflow, then clean off the rust with oxalic acid. When it's clean, treat the area with a rust converter ( a preparation that usually contains a phosphoric acid solution and other compounds; turns rust into a black iron phosphate finish, which can't oxidize any more.), then spray a bit of rustoleum paint on the hidden part for good measure. IOW, don't spray anything that's not covered by the overflow plate. It may be worth a try .
    A magnet sticks to cast iron, too.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

When considering a one piece fiberglass unit, check the width of doorways and such to make sure you can fit that massive, heavy, prickly, fiberglass unit into where it needs to go.

Most units are installed during the framing stage of home construction, long before the drywall goes in.

I've read from an article that this could work:
    Clean the tub and let it dry. Apply galvanized metal etching primer then after the etching primer cured already, apply epoxy paint to the primed steel bathtub.

Keep in mind ripping and replacing will cost a bit,plus a good week of mess. A good refinishing company like mine may be able to stop the rust, maybe not permanently, but for a good while anyway.

thanks,Patrick

Resurface Spe******t of cape cod