+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Stuck Carpet Padding

I purchase my grandparents home and I am removing the shag carpet that was probably laid in the 60's. The problem is the padding is sticking to the hardwood floors in the living room and won't come up. I don't know if an adhesive was used on the padding or if it's just stuck from years of spills and wear. Does anybody have any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the hardwood flooring?

Default Re: Removing Stuck Carpet Padding

Regardless of how it gets removed, you're going to have to refinish the floors. I would recommend consulting with a few refinishing contractors and see what they recommend for your particular situation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Jennifer:

Go to your local hardware store and buy a scr-aper bar like this one:

The front of it is sharp enough to scr-ape the underpad off, but not sharp enough to cut into your hardwood. (This web site replaces all occurances of the character string "r a p e" with "****". Ditto for the character string "o n l i n e".
    I have no idea why. I think they think it's funny.

Also, you'll probably find that mineral spirits removes any residual foam from the hardwood fairly easily.
    Last edited by Nestor; 08-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.

honestly that bar wont work very well for old dried on adhesive. i have a few of them. their ok for light scraping,or for removing delicate trim. it doesnt have a sharp edge on it and its not big enough to use two hands

you will find a floor sc****r that takes olfa knife blades will work better, just be sure to buy a pack of spare blades as they will break,gum up, become dull. also with a true paint sc****r which has a handle on the back of the handle just above the blade.
    Last edited by jkirk; 08-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Jennifer:

Normally, when carpet is installed over a hardwood floor, the installers will simply staple the underpad down to the hardwood.

Can you see if the underpad has been stapled down? Look around the periphery of the room where the underpad is still in good condition, and see if you can see any staples holding the pad down.

If there aren't any staples, then there's a very good liklihood that the underpad was glued down. However, they may just have glued the periphery of each piece of underpad, and not full spread glued the whole pad.

If it's not stapled down, then I'd use a tungsten carbide paint s c r a p e r:

like the one above to simply s c r a p e the foam (or what's left of it off the floor.

Then removing the adhesive will be a separate project.

I'd stay away from any s c r a p e r that uses sharp blades to avoid cutting into your hardwood. A paint s c r a p e r with a tungsten carbide blade (as shown above) will be plenty sharp enough to s c r a p e the underpad off, without cutting into your hardwood.
    Last edited by Nestor; 08-03-2011 at 11:49 PM.

the razor blade sc****r will actually do less damage than a actual sc****r, teh razer will slice under the glue along the top edge of the hardwood. where as a sc****r will actually remove wood.

however based on the age of teh home and how you stated the carpet is roughly from the 60's there is a extremely good chance that the hardwood was finsished with shellac a waxy paste prouduct that turns the wood an orange tinge over time. if you plan on putting fresh varathane on these floors you will have to completely sand the floors as the varathane will hardly stick and teh floors will look horrible, trust me on this i have seen it countless times where clients wanted to do things the easy way by doing it themself but ended up calling to get their floors refinished professionally. same thing goes for teh "dustless" floor refinishing.. its nothing more than a light polish of the floor and does not remove dents, gouges, and stains in the actual wood

[QUOTE=Nestor;250607]Jennifer:

Go to your local hardware store and buy a scr-aper bar like this one:

That's a beehive tool, not a sc****r, although is can be used as one. Invented by Dadant Co. for working with bees.
    Had to share.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

good man casey.. didnt realize its a beehive tool though

i use mine for removing trim and scraping FRESH adhesive off of things when i just applied it if i need to recut something...

Casey:

That's right. There's a honey factory here in Winnipeg where I buy those tools. Amongst those in the know, they're called "bee keeper's bars", but everyone else calls them a "pry bar" or a "s c r a p e r". They're a handy and versatile tool to have.

Actually, Bee Maid Honey here in Winnipeg sells three different styles of that bar.