+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation replace everything? why

I have a 3 level Townhouse house built in '78 and we have been doing work on it so we have had the water off. Yesterday when the water was turned back on the whole house got a bath, water went everywhere I had it turned off and called a relitive to help(He and his father both do Gen contracting and plumbing) after tearing up the ceiling under the two upper baths we found that the leak was a broken connection behide the tub and maybe another leak in the bathroom on the main floor. This plummer wants me to change out every pipe in the house from copper to PVC and start New just incase another leak show up. Does this sound right to anyone else it doesn't to me????

Default Re: replace everything? why

if the only reason is that it is copper, then no. copper is still used on many construction sites. now if looking at the original instillation a plumber may feel the original is sub standard or that the copper is touching other metals which will cause the copper to corrode. if you aren't sure of why he said that, ask. have him show you exactally why.

Was the water turned off for the winter months or just to make some repairs? As far as changing the water line PVC is not allowed inside the home. Are you sure he didn't say CPVC? It could be that after 33 years that the copper is going bad. In any case I would get a second opinion.

John

i can see replacing all the pipe in the area of the leak but not the entire house. by no means should he have to go that far unless he fixes one spot only to realize the leak is coming from somewhere else, then repeat.. this will cost you thousands otherwise not just to replace teh pipe but to tear out walls and redrywall plus paint
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Copper waste and supply pipes are long considered the **** Standard of piping. I wouldn't change anything that didn't leak.

It sounds to me like someone has a mortgage, boat, alimony, or back child support payment due.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 07-28-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Before any constructive advice can be given we need to now what caused the pipe to fail. Frozen pipe, bad joint or copper breaking down.

John

The above answers summed it all up, but allow me to add these:

1. Your existing pipes are not that old to need a total repipe.
    However, if they start leaking in many other locations, then you might consider a total repipe.

2. Copper, in most cases, is the pipe to go with. Most plumbers will tell you that. So if you do change your pipes, don't go with plastic (cpvc - light yellowish pipe).

3. The best substitute to copper is PEX. I still prefer copper though.