+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combining vents

Default Combining vents

I just recently installed a over the range hood and vented it to the outside of the house. I now need to install a bathroom vent that I would like to vent outside. I'm wondering if I can use the venting for the range hood by installing some sort of "T" section. Thus avoiding cutting another hole in the exterior of the house/roof. Is this something that can be done as long is there is some kinda of damper installed in the range hood vent? Thanks!

Default Re: Combining vents

No you can't combine the vents. Without looking, I doubt if any codes would allow it and it wouldn't work. The hood vent would likely overpower the bathroom vent and allow fumes into bathroom. And the reverse if the range hood wasn't on, even with the damper at the stove. Unless a single fan is drawing from all the spaces, and that may not be allowed with the range hood, all the fans need their own duct run out.
    Last edited by ed21; 07-27-2011 at 09:29 AM.

I agree. Leave the hood vent alone.

Thanks for the answers, Is there a preferred way to vent a bathroom? Like out the roof or out the side of the house. I have a 70s ranch style house with vented soffits so I don't think I can vent out the soffit.

Out through the roof and you must follow your local codes.