+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shower hot and cold are reversed

How can I fix the issue of hot and cold in my shower being reversed (when I turn on the hot, cold water comes out and vise versa) without fixing the plumbing lines. I have a Moen shower valve. I heard something about changing the cartridge??

Default Re: shower hot and cold are reversed

Did this happen to an existing valve that had been in good working order before?

On a Moen faucet to reverse hot & cold remove the handle and turn the stem 180 degrees then re install the handle.

John

The valve always worked this way. It was plumbed incorrectly.
    If the valve stem is turned 180degrees will the handle be pointing 180 degrees from where it was as well?

How do you turn the faucet on? Do you pull the handle or do you have to turn it? If you pull the handle then do as I first posted. If you turn it has to be turned to turn it on then the stem has to be removed and turned 180 degrees. It doesn't matter if it as been like that sense day one. Moen faucets are made so the hot and cold can be switched. As far as the handle being pointed in the wrong direction in can go on the stem in either direction it has two flat spots on the stem 180 degrees apart.

John

Thank you for your help...it worked and saved me alot of time

Great, all you have to do now is get accustomed to it not being backwards.

John

John,

I knew you prefer the Moen brand, and this must be one of the reasons why...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    John,

I knew you prefer the Moen brand, and this must be one of the reasons why...
    Six years ago I did prefer Moen but they have made some changes that are causing many problems with there faucets. At this point I prefer Delta. Same old story you have a good product then you make changes to increase your bottom line in you turn it into junk. That's just my opinion.

John

Now that issue is resloved, I have one other issue.
    There is a vent pipe in my shower wall that ends in the floor joist above. The floor above is my bedroom. It vents the shower drain only. The end of the vent pipe is open. Should I use a studder vent inside the wall. Afraid if I do and it fails in the closed position then the shower drain wouldn't work well or gurgle.