+ Reply to Thread

Default Linoleum Flooring

Hello!

I'm new here so if I do something wrong please let me know!

I have a new-to-me(not at all new though) house, with a 14x12 ish kitchen. It has linoleum flooring that has been partially removed (about a 3x6 section).

There are several layers of various substances on top of the subfloor. A green felt-like layer, a gray paper-like layer, some old looking linoleum, and finally some newer looking vinyl flooring.

My question is this, should we pick up and finish the removal process, or cover the floor with something. I've heard of putting down some 1/4" or 1/8" substance on top of what you have currently, but I'm worried that would cause it to be uneven or look strange.

If we should finish the removal process, are there any chemicals that would aid in removing the felt-like substance without destroying the subfloor or making it unusable for potential future vinyl flooring.

Either way, thanks for any advice, in advance!

Default Re: Linoleum Flooring

In my opinion you end up with a better job when you remove the old surface first before applying a new one. Especially in your case where part of the floor has already been removed. You will end up with an uneven floor if you just went over it with something that was and 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

That being said sometimes some of that old flooring contained asbestos so you should have it checked before tearing into it. If it is clean you can do the work yourself and just get to ripping and tearing. Use flooring sc****rs and putty knives to get as much of the old adhesives off. You may need to sand some stubborn high spots.

After that depending on the shape of the sub-floor you could then put down a layer of 1/4" luan plywood that will give you a good smooth surface for the new vinyl or linoleum to go over.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike!

I'll check into the possibility of asbestos that wouldn't be at all good! Thanks again for the advice!

Our kitchen had the green stuff too. What would be the easiest method of removing it specifically?