+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Adhesive?

Question What Adhesive?

We have foam board insulation in our basement. Now, there was a hole in the drywall so we cut the drywall and the foam to make it square. What adhesive should I use to glue new foam board to the cinder blocks and the drywall to the foam?

Default Re: What Adhesive?

If the patch was cut with a good tight press-fit, I'd just seal it in with Tyvek tape and let it go at that. To adhere your drywall patch in to the foam, use a notched trowel and apply a coat of drywall mud and press it in like a tile. Then make sure you mud and tape it in smoothly.
    Casey
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 07-20-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: sp.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Is this a very dry basement?

They sell foam board adhesive made specifically for the task. Regular construction adhesive and other adhesive products will most likely disintegrate the foam. I'm not sure if dry wall compound would do the same. Once the adhesive dries it is really stuck there so you wouldn't have to worry about it coming off. Just make sure that the drywall is flush (you may need to brace it until the foam board adhesive sets up). Hope this helps you out.

Mike

spray foam works the best to adhere rigid foam, it also seals any gaps. i use it all the time both for icf construction gaps along with patching in small pieces of foam in odd hard to insulate spaces
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I would use a product made specifically for foam board insulation like LePage's PL 300:

http://www.lepageproducts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=80

That web page says PL 300 bonds foam insulation to both concrete and to drywall, so you can use it to do all your glueing.

as mentioned the spray foam works best, the adhesive only works on when your adhearing the foam to a completely flat surface
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'm still worried he may be trapping moisture in the wall between the foam board and the masonry......