+ Reply to Thread

Question Toilet floor bolts

I plan to install a new Toto toilet. I have replaced wax rings before, but... The floor bolts are two inches wider on the Toto than my old American Standard. Before I remove the old toilet, I want to make sure that the bolts are not a problem beyond my limited expertese. Thanks for any help. Charlie

Default Re: Toilet floor bolts

1. Get your bowl of wax ready. Get the kind with a plastic flange. When you remove the toilet, make sure that the floor flange is clean and free of the old wax.

2. Floor bolts are freestanding, meaning you can take the old ones out, and replace them with the new, longer ones that you have. When you insert them in their slots, make sure they stay there. They come in sizes 1/4x2-1/4, 1/4x3-14 or 5/16x2-1/4, 5/16x3-1/4. If your old bolts are shorter, they must have been cut by the installer.

3. If the nuts on those old bolts refuse to turn, use a metal cutting saw to cut them off below the nuts ().

Default Re: Toilet floor bolts

Not sure what you are saying. The width from one bolt to the other is the same on all toilets. As dj1 said you can replace the bolts. I never reuse the old bolts. Also make sure the flange is screwed to the floor.

John

Question Re: Toilet floor bolts

Thanks, dj1 for the quick answer. It's great to have your help.

What I still don't understand is: If the bolts on the new toilet sit two inches wider () than the old one, do I have to buy a difference diameter flange and will the new one be a problem to install given that the waste hole in the floor is narrower.

Others are welcome to chime in.

Thanks to all. This is a great discussion board.

Charlie

Red face Re: Toilet floor bolts

johnjh20, Yours was a very useful reply because it caused me to remeasure. I discovered that you are absolutely correct. Without removing the old toilet but only roughly marking the wall behind the Toto and the American Standard that I have, I was way off.

Must have been the beer! Thanks again!

Charlie